Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by "Langston, Jim" <Ji...@compuware.com> on 2013/07/18 01:17:25 UTC

sstable size ?

Hi all,

Is there a way to get an SSTable to a smaller size ? By this I mean that I
currently have an SSTable that is nearly 1.2G, so that subsequent SSTables
when they compact are trying to grow to that size. The result is that when
the min_compaction_threshold reaches it value and a compaction is needed,
the compaction is taking a long time as the file grows (it is currently at 52MB and
takes ~22s to compact).

I'm not sure how the SSTable initially grew to its current size of 1.2G, since the
servers have been up for a couple of years. I hadn't noticed until I just upgraded to 1.2.6,
but now I see it affects everything.

Jim

Re: sstable size ?

Posted by Nate McCall <zz...@gmail.com>.
Without digging I'd so no - the SSTable versions will be pretty different.

You could test this pretty easily in isolation though just on a local
instance - I think the issue will be 1.1.6 reading the 1.2.6 SSTable
as the other way should be backwards compatible. Someone jump in if
i'm wrong?

Re: sstable size ?

Posted by Nate McCall <zz...@gmail.com>.
Awesome. Thanks Sylvain!