Posted to user@geode.apache.org by Nikhil Chandrappa <nc...@pivotal.io> on 2015/10/18 19:33:11 UTC

Fwd: Enabling SSL in Gemfire client/server configuration

Hi,

I am trying to enable the SSL communication from Gemfire Client to Gemfire
locator/Server. However, I am getting an exception that "Certificate is not
recognized".

Steps:

   1. I have created a new a public and private key pair for the client
   2. Exported the self signed certificate
   3. Imported the new self signed certificate to client side JRE keystore
   at
   /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_45.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/security/cacerts
   4. Imported the same certificate to gemfire8.keystore which is being
   used by Gemfire locator and server.
   5. when I start the client to make a connection to Gemfire, I receive an
   Fatal Exception that certificate is not recognized

I was wondering if there is any property to specify the keystore to be used
at the client side.

I searched the documentation but couldn't find any information for client
side configurations. It would be great if anyone can point me to SSL
configurations needed for Gemfire client.

For reference, following are properties that I am using -

*gemfire-server.properties*

mcast-port=0
locators=localhost[10334]
log-level=config
cache-xml-file=../config/server-cache.xml
statistic-sampling-enabled=true
statistic-sample-rate=1000
statistic-archive-file=myStatisticsArchiveFile.gfs
enable-time-statistics=false
*jmx-manager-ssl-enabled=false*
*cluster-ssl-enabled=true*
*cluster-ssl-require-authentication=false*

*gfsecurity.properties*

cluster-ssl-keystore=/Users/nchandrappa/Documents/gemfire/security/gemfire8.keystore
cluster-ssl-keystore-password=password
cluster-ssl-truststore=/Users/nchandrappa/Documents/gemfire/security/gemfire8.keystore
cluster-ssl-truststore-password=password

*locator.properties*

mcast-port=0
log-level=config
locators=localhost[10334]

*cluster-ssl-enabled=true*
*server-ssl-require-authentication=false*

*gemfire-client.properties*

mcast-port=0
log-level=config
log-file=gemClient.log
*ssl-enabled=true*

Thanks,
Nikhil Chandrappa

Re: Enabling SSL in Gemfire client/server configuration

Posted by Nikhil Chandrappa <nc...@pivotal.io>.
I see the following in logs,

[info 2015/10/18 20:48:04.643 EDT ProjectClient <poolTimer-clientPool-2>
tid=0x17] AutoConnectionSource discovered new locators
[NikhilCappasMBP.fios-router.home/192.168.1.156:10334]

[info 2015/10/18 20:48:04.672 EDT ProjectClient <poolTimer-clientPool-3>
tid=0x18] SSL Connection from peer CN=nchandrappa, OU=Gemfire, O=Pivotal,
L=Newyork, ST=NY, C=US

[info 2015/10/18 20:48:04.672 EDT ProjectClient <poolTimer-clientPool-3>
tid=0x18] Updating membership port.  Port changed from 0 to 59,223.

[info 2015/10/18 20:48:04.688 EDT ProjectClient <main> tid=0x1] SSL
Connection from peer CN=nchandrappa, OU=Gemfire, O=Pivotal, L=Newyork,
ST=NY, C=US

[info 2015/10/18 20:48:04.765 EDT ProjectClient <main> tid=0x1] SSL
Connection from peer CN=nchandrappa, OU=Gemfire, O=Pivotal, L=Newyork,
ST=NY, C=US

[info 2015/10/18 20:48:04.786 EDT ProjectClient <Cache Client Updater
Thread  on NikhilCappasMBP(serverVoya1:89103)<v1>:40100 port 59140>
tid=0x1d] Cache Client Updater Thread  on
NikhilCappasMBP(serverVoya1:89103)<v1>:40100 port 59140
(nikhilcappasmbp.fios-router.home:59140) : ready to process messages.

[info 2015/10/18 20:48:04.786 EDT ProjectClient <main> tid=0x1] Pool
clientPool started with multiuser-authentication=false

Thanks,

Nikhil

Posted by Nikhil Chandrappa <nc...@pivotal.io>.
Shuvro,

Posted by Shuvro Das <sd...@pivotal.io>.
Hi Nikhil,

On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 6:15 AM, Nikhil Chandrappa <nc...@pivotal.io>
wrote:

> [...]
>>> configurations needed for Gemfire client.
>>>
>>> For reference, following are properties that I am using -
>>>
>>> *gemfire-server.properties*
>>>
>>> mcast-port=0
>>> locators=localhost[10334]
>>> log-level=config
>>> cache-xml-file=../config/server-cache.xml
>>> statistic-sampling-enabled=true
>>> statistic-sample-rate=1000
>>> statistic-archive-file=myStatisticsArchiveFile.gfs
>>> enable-time-statistics=false
>>> *jmx-manager-ssl-enabled=false*
>>> *cluster-ssl-enabled=true*
>>> *cluster-ssl-require-authentication=false*
>>>
>>> *gfsecurity.properties*
>>>

>>> cluster-ssl-keystore=/Users/nchandrappa/Documents/gemfire/security/gemfire8.keystore
>>> cluster-ssl-keystore-password=password
>>>
>>> cluster-ssl-truststore=/Users/nchandrappa/Documents/gemfire/security/gemfire8.keystore
>>> cluster-ssl-truststore-password=password

>>> log-level=config
>>> locators=localhost[10334]
>>>
>>> *cluster-ssl-enabled=true*
>>> *server-ssl-require-authentication=false*
>>>
>>> *gemfire-client.properties*
>>>
>>> mcast-port=0
>>> log-level=config

Posted by Nikhil Chandrappa <nc...@pivotal.io>.