Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Remko Popma <re...@yahoo.com> on 2013/04/26 19:18:01 UTC

Ok to rename AsynchAppender?

I would like to rename AsynchAppender to AsyncAppender.
In addition I'd like to rename the plugin name for that appender from Asynch to Async.

Reasons for renaming:
* consistency with Log4j-1.x and Logback naming
* consistency with Log4j-2.0 Async Loggers naming
* my personal preference (Asynch looks like it rhymes with inch)

I'm a bit concerned about the plugin renaming as it may break existing configurations.
How much of an installed base do we estimate we currently have?
Is it possible to support both plugin names Asynch and Async? And would that be a good idea or not?

Thoughts?

Re: Ok to rename AsynchAppender?

Posted by Nick Williams <ni...@nicholaswilliams.net>.
Okay I've filed the bug and attached my patch. This needs to be reviewed sooner rather than later, as it touches a lot of files and merging will get messy quickly. I diffed against the latest revision as of 15 minutes ago.

Thanks!

Nick

Posted by Nick Williams <ni...@nicholaswilliams.net>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.