Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Garthfield Carter <to...@webconexion.net> on 2007/07/13 12:07:30 UTC

JavaMail SMTP authentication in JSP

Hello,

Has anybody got an example they could send me of how to authenticate
with an SMTP server to send an email in JSP for JavaMail? I've been
trying unsuccessfully for two days trying to get something working. I'm
just trying in plain text at the moment, I don't need SSL or anything.
Below is the non-functioning code example I've built from various
examples on Google. None of the examples on Google that I searched for
gave a complete example just snippets. There's something that I'm doing
wrong.

Any helpe would be greatly appreciated.

Garthfield

<%@ page import="java.util.*, javax.mail.*, javax.mail.internet.*" %>

<%

String host = "smtp.domain.com";
String user = "user@domain.com";
String pass = "pAsWoRd";

String to = "to@domain.com";
String from = "from@domain.com";
String subject = "Test subject";
String messageText = "Test body";
boolean sessionDebug = false;

Properties props = System.getProperties();
props.put("mail.host", host);
props.put("mail.transport.protocol", "smtp");

Session mailSession = Session.getDefaultInstance(props, null);
mailSession.setDebug(sessionDebug);

Message msg = new MimeMessage(mailSession);
msg.setFrom(new InternetAddress(from));
InternetAddress[] address = {new InternetAddress(to)};
msg.setRecipients(Message.RecipientType.TO, address);
msg.setSubject(subject);
msg.setSentDate(new Date());
msg.setText(messageText);

Transport transport = mailSession.getTransport("smtp");
transport.connect(host, user, user);
transport.sendMessage(msg, msg.getAllRecipients());
transport.close();

%>

Re: JavaMail SMTP authentication in JSP

Posted by "Mark H. Wood" <mw...@IUPUI.Edu>.
If you *do* get it working with TLS, I'd appreciate hearing how.

Typically when a software vendor says that a product is "intuitive" he
means the exact opposite.

Re: JavaMail SMTP authentication in JSP

Posted by Garthfield Carter <to...@webconexion.net>.
Mildly embarrasing, but the below example works. Please ignore this
thread. Really ought to have tested my last change sorry.

Garthfield

Posted by Lyallex <ly...@gmail.com>.
properties.put("mail.smtp.auth", "true");
transport.connect(host, user, pass);

possibly ?

rgds
Duncan