Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by "Roger L. Costello" <co...@mitre.org> on 2001/09/08 16:05:43 UTC

Why does the "client" deploy services on the server?

I find it rather odd that there is a programmatic way for the CLIENT to
deploy services on a server (the client runs ServiceManagerClient), yet
there is no programmatic way for a SERVER to deploy its own services.

Come to think of it, I find it odd that a client should be able to do
any deployment!  For a client to deploy services on another machine is
analogous to me reaching out (figuratively) to your machine and turning
on/off various applications on your machine.  That doesn't seem
reasonable.  Surely, the server should be the one to decide when it will
deploy its services?

What am I missing?   /Roger

Re: Why does the "client" deploy services on the server?

Posted by Dmitri Colebatch <di...@bigpond.net.au>.
Hi,

afaik what you are describing is just the interface to the server.  To
deploy programmatically you use

http://xml.apache.org/soap/docs/apiDocs/org/apache/soap/util/ConfigManager.html#deploy(org.apache.soap.server.DeploymentDescriptor)

remember that to deploy a service, the service must already exist in the
classpath on the server.  all you are doing is adding configuration.

hth
dim

Posted by Dmitri Colebatch <di...@bigpond.net.au>.
Hi,