Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk> on 2005/02/10 11:06:19 UTC

[Axis2] Package refactorings

Hi,

In the chat it was decided to do some refactorings to the existing package
structure of Axis 2.
Some of them were,
 - to have impl package under the corresponding block, rather than having
common impl package for all
Eg : org.apache.axis.om - contains interfaces
	org.apache.axis.om.impl - contains impls of the interfaces
- All impl classes should be suffixed with *Impl*. Eg : OMElementImpl
- Remove stuff which are in prototype2 area, but will not be included in M1.

 Eg : some of the wsdl stuff, encoding stuff

(Anything else ??. Please refer chat log on 10-02-2005)

So where do we do these changes ?

Option One - to do these changes in prototype2 itself.
I don't think this is a good idea, since we remove, refactor, etc., Its true
that, u can retrieve things later. But I'd prefer not touching that, and to
freeze it for sometime.

Option Two - create a folder (say, M1) in scratch area, copy all the stuff
from prototype2, do all the changes, and then move to main src tree

Option Three - copy all the stuff from prototype2 to main src area directly,
do the refactoring there itself.

I find no problem in the third option. IMHO, there is nothing wrong with
doing these refactoring stuff in main src area.

So what do you all think ? I think since we are moving towards the release,
its better to have a quick discussion.

Thankx and regards,
Eran Chinthaka

Re: [Axis2] Package refactorings

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.
Eran Chinthaka wrote:
> Option One - to do these changes in prototype2 itself.
> I don't think this is a good idea, since we remove, refactor, etc., Its true
> that, u can retrieve things later. But I'd prefer not touching that, and to
> freeze it for sometime.

Either you believe in the source control system, or you don't.  If you
don't, we shouldn't be using it. :)  We've already got copies of the way
the tree is now, which are easily retrievable with SVN - so I wouldn't
be nervous about changing it.

I think this is the way to go, in order to make the histories of the
files in the main source branch simpler once we move there.  Refactor in
prototype2/, then move.

> Option Two - create a folder (say, M1) in scratch area, copy all the stuff
> from prototype2, do all the changes, and then move to main src tree

This would be OK too.

> Option Three - copy all the stuff from prototype2 to main src area directly,
> do the refactoring there itself.

This seems silly to me.  If you know you're going to refactor, why do
you want to bother to make the files in the main src area contain all
that extra history?

--Glen

Re: [Axis2] Package refactorings

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
+1 for moving to the main source tree and finalizing the changes
there. I agree doing a last minute change to the main source
tree is risky and bug-prone.

Sanjiva.

Posted by Srinath Perera <he...@gmail.com>.
Hi All;