Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> on 2002/08/22 05:03:47 UTC

Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/docs/manual env.html.en

On 22 Aug 2002 slive@apache.org wrote:

> slive       2002/08/21 19:57:07
>
>   Modified:    docs/manual env.html.en
>   Log:
>   Darn.  There appears to be something wrong with the xml->html system.
>   Rebuilding to get correct paths.

Notice the diff here folks.

Also note that I changed NOTHING between the first build and the second
build of env.html.en.  I just did "touch env.xml;cd build;build.sh".
The only difference is that for the first build several other files
were also transformed at the same time, while in the second (correct)
build, only the env.xml file was transformed.

Punchline: the build process is broken.  This is exactly the problem
that I reported before when I tried to combine the builds from all
the directories into one shot.

Any ideas?  Can anyone else recreate this?  (Try randomly touching
a few files in different directories and then build.  If things are
working, you should then have no output to "cvs diff".)

Joshua.

Re: [!FIX!] docs build system broken

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
Erik Abele wrote:

> Attached a patch to the current CVS HEAD. I tested this thoroughly and it
> works very fine for me.

Works for me.  Committed.

Thanks for fixing this!

Posted by David Shane Holden <dp...@yahoo.com>.
Works for me.

I was trying a different approach by declaring the path variable within each
of the pages that used it (manualpage, modulesynopsis, etc.), then passing
it to the child templates as params.  That way there wouldn't be a need for
the global variable.

I think your fix is better though.

Shane

[!FIX!] docs build system broken

Posted by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de>.
on 23.08.2002 19:19 Uhr Joshua Slive (joshua@slive.ca) wrote:

> Cliff Woolley wrote:
>> On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Joshua Slive wrote:
>>> Any ideas?  Can anyone else recreate this?
>>
>> Yes, I see this exact kind of thing all the time.  Very annoying.  I
>> hadn't put much thought into it though.  Perhaps it has to do with whether
>> you run ./build.sh or ../build.sh?
>
> The nearest I can figure out, the variable definition for relativepath
> gets set correctly for the first doc that is transformed, and then all
> future docs gets the same relativepath.  I don't think this is a bug in
> the stylesheet.  A "variable" in xslt is really a constant, in the sense
> that it can't be changed; but this should only apply per-file, right?

There is no bug in the stylesheet, but since Ant only loads the stylesheet
one time per <style>-section, the stylesheet doesn't get updated for every
single file. Therefore the relativepath-var in the xsl keeps its value from
the first xml-document. Although this results in faster transforming, it
introduces the described problems when it comes to different path-depths.

> In any case, I'll give this issue another 24 hours to mull around in
> peoples brains, and if nobody comes up with a solution I will revert the
> build.xml how it was a few versions ago: transform each directory
> seperately.

A possible solution would be some additional <style>-sections in which the
path-depth for transforming the docs is restricted to only one depth. Since
we don't have a very complex directory-tree this should be a lot easier to
maintain as the last version of build.xml, where we had to change a lot, to
insert new languages or new directories. Another positive side-effect is the
fact that this should be much faster than loading the stylesheet for every
directory (e.g. ./, ./misc, ./howto, ./developers, ./ssl, ./vhost, ... in
contrast to ./, ./**, ...).

Puuh, I hope this is somewhat understandable...I surely have to improve my
english-skills :-)) If there are any questions, please ask.

Attached a patch to the current CVS HEAD. I tested this thoroughly and it
works very fine for me.

Another thing to mention: while playing with the build-system I spotted a
param named 'relative-path' in every <style>-section. I couldn't find any
reference to it in the stylesheet, so I think this is an oddment of an older
version. I removed it in the attached patch.

BTW: sorry for the late reply on this, but I wasn't at home for the last two
days...*sigh*...

Erik

docs build system broken

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by Cliff Woolley <jw...@virginia.edu>.
On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Joshua Slive wrote:

> Any ideas?  Can anyone else recreate this?

Yes, I see this exact kind of thing all the time.  Very annoying.  I
hadn't put much thought into it though.  Perhaps it has to do with whether
you run ./build.sh or ../build.sh?

--Cliff