Posted to asp@perl.apache.org by Ph...@netscape.net on 2003/01/15 20:29:05 UTC

Using Apache::ASP on windows

Team,

My story with Apache::ASP

I had created an application (consisting of serveral dlls written in VB). I had naturally been forced to use IIS which lets you call DLLs from ASP.

All I had in the ASP file was a Server.CreateObject("Class.clsClass") which returned HTML. All the processing and business logic sat within DLLs. I know this does not confirm to a true ASP deployment (but I really liked using the VB IDE...:) and the debugging advantages there....)

I was frustrated with having to use IIS, especially when there is no IIS Out of the box with Win XP. So I find Apache::ASP very useful! I can run my server app on XP, Win2K, NT ...

I do have a question though. The RAM footprint for Apache has gone up from 3600 KB(Apache by itself) to 56000 KB now(with mod_perl and Apache::ASP). Why is this? Is this normal behaviour?

Is there a list of modules that absolutely have to be there for Apache::ASP to work? Maybe I have more modules than needed.

Sorry for the long-winded story (but I truly appreciate Apache::ASP)

Thanks again!

Re: Using Apache::ASP on windows

Posted by Josh Chamas <jo...@chamas.com>.
PhilNadavallil@netscape.net wrote:
> Team,
>
> My story with Apache::ASP
>
> I had created an application (consisting of serveral dlls written in VB). I had naturally been forced to use IIS which lets you call DLLs from ASP.
>
> All I had in the ASP file was a Server.CreateObject("Class.clsClass") which returned HTML. All the processing and business logic sat within DLLs. I know this does not confirm to a true ASP deployment (but I really liked using the VB IDE...:) and the debugging advantages there....)
>
> I was frustrated with having to use IIS, especially when there is no IIS Out of the box with Win XP. So I find Apache::ASP very useful! I can run my server app on XP, Win2K, NT ...

This is a great story.  I believe developers generally have a harder time
getting Apache::ASP working on windows type systems, so you might hang
around to answer windows related questions that pop up!

> I do have a question though. The RAM footprint for Apache has gone up from 3600 KB(Apache by itself) to 56000 KB now(with mod_perl and Apache::ASP). Why is this? Is this normal behaviour?

I believe that with just mod_perl & Apache::ASP, that one should expect the memory footprint
to go to < 20M, but certainly not 56M.  It may be that additional libraries being loading,
like via $Server->CreateObject, further bloat memory usage.  Can you tell when the memory
goes up to 56M, is this at startup, or after serving a few requests?

> Is there a list of modules that absolutely have to be there for Apache::ASP to work? Maybe I have more modules than needed.

If you are installing via perl Makefile.PL type install, it will show you
the list of dependencies for a minimum install, particularly this from
Makefile.PL:

my $necessary_modules = {
#    'Apache' => 'Make sure your installation of mod_perl is complete',
     'Class::Struct' => "Apache::ASP->Loader() precompile scripts functionality",
     'MLDBM' => 'This is used for reading and writing multi-level hashes on disk',
     'MLDBM::Sync 0.25' => 'Support for State dbms like $Session & $Application',
     'SDBM_File' => 'Internal databases used for state files, like $Session',
     'Data::Dumper' => 'Serializes data for MLDBM',
     'Fcntl' => 'Used for file locking constants',
     'File::Basename' => "Used for tests during 'make test'",
     'Digest::MD5' => '32 byte hash algorithm for cookie session-id',
     'Carp' => 'Provides critical error messaging with confess()',
};
																																																																	Apache::ASP will load all of these for you though, so all you
really need is to say:

   PerlModule Apache::ASP

in the httpd.conf.  You might want to preload others based on
what other features you are using like FormFill, XSLT, CompressGzip, etc.

Note that preloading modules under apache 1.3 on windows will do little good,
but under apache 2 / mod_perl 2 will be of greater benefit.

Regards,

Josh