Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com> on 2014/11/21 04:42:02 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache Hadoop 2.5.2 released

Folks,

I am pleased to announce that the Apache Hadoop community has voted to
release Apache Hadoop 2.5.2
<http://hadoop.apache.org/releases.html#19+November%2C+2014%3A+Release+2.5.2+available>,
a point release that fixes two critical security issues - (1)  CVE-2014-3566
<http://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/detail?vulnId=CVE-2014-3566>: Poodle
vulnerability, and (2) CVE-2014-3627: a distributed-cache vulnerability
(more details below). We encourage users to upgrade. Please see the release
notes for more details.

Close on the heels of this, the community is planning to release a more
feature-rich release in Hadoop-2.6.0, which is intended to be the last
minor release that supports Java 6.

Thanks
Karthik

---

CVE-2014-3627: Apache Hadoop distributed cache vulnerability

Severity: Severe

Vendor: The Apache Software Foundation

Versions Affected:
Hadoop 0.23.0 to 0.23.11
Hadoop 2.0.0 to 2.5.1

Users affected: Users running the YARN NodeManager daemon with Kerberos
authentication

Impact: Vulnerability allows a cluster user to expose private files owned
by the user running the YARN NodeManager process.  The malicious cluster
user can create a public tar archive containing a symlink to a local file
on the node owned by the user running the YARN NodeManager process.  The
permissions of the local file will be changed to be world-readable when the
public archive is localized on the node.

Mitigation: Users should upgrade to 2.5.2.

Credit: This issue was discovered by Jason Lowe of Yahoo!