Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> on 2001/02/05 20:44:54 UTC

cvs tagging (was: Re: Release Strategy)

On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 10:29:56AM -0800, Jim Winstead wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 01:15:08PM -0500, Greg Marr wrote:
> > At 01:00 PM 02/05/2001, Jim Winstead wrote:
> > >why does the tree ever have to be "frozen", even for ten
> > >minutes?  As long as you're doing a "cvs tag" of a checkout and not
> > >a "cvs rtag -r HEAD", you'll never collide with checkins that happen
> > >after you've done your checkout but before you've tagged. they'll
> > >just end up being part of the next tag&roll. no big deal when that
> > >happens on a reliable schedule.
> >
> > What we generally do in our version control system at work is tag
> > first, and then get on that tag, so we're 100% sure that what we're
> > getting is what the next person to get that tag will have.
>
> sure. but when you do a "cvs tag", it tags the versions you have
> in your sandbox. when someone does a checkout of that tag, they
> will get what you had in your sandbox. even if someone else had
> commited something between the time you checked out your sandbox
> and tagged it. doing it this way just gives you an opportunity to
> avoid tagging if you've checked out something that is totally broken.
>
> i'm just pointing out there's no need to prevent checkins for any
> amount of time to get this behavior.

Exactly. "cvs rtag" will tag the HEAD in the repository. I could check out
something from a year ago and then do a "cvs tag" and it will tag *that*
rather than the HEAD.

The whole point about "freezing the repository" is bogus, given how CVS
works. Personally, I never pushed because these "freezes" during the tag
have never impacted what I'm doing. But the myth of needing to "freeze"
really should stop.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: cvs tagging (was: Re: Release Strategy)

Posted by rb...@covalent.net.
> > sure. but when you do a "cvs tag", it tags the versions you have
> > in your sandbox. when someone does a checkout of that tag, they
> > will get what you had in your sandbox. even if someone else had
> > commited something between the time you checked out your sandbox
> > and tagged it. doing it this way just gives you an opportunity to
> > avoid tagging if you've checked out something that is totally broken.
> >
> > i'm just pointing out there's no need to prevent checkins for any
> > amount of time to get this behavior.
>
> Exactly. "cvs rtag" will tag the HEAD in the repository. I could check out
> something from a year ago and then do a "cvs tag" and it will tag *that*
> rather than the HEAD.
>
> The whole point about "freezing the repository" is bogus, given how CVS
> works. Personally, I never pushed because these "freezes" during the tag
> have never impacted what I'm doing. But the myth of needing to "freeze"
> really should stop.

That's what I was asking for.  Alright, if we know that it is safe, then I
would remove the freeze step.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131