Posted to dev@usergrid.apache.org by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com> on 2015/02/09 03:15:42 UTC

Moving two-dot-o to master

Hi Folks,
A while back there was conversation on releasing 1.0.1 then moving
two-dot-o to master as that is where most development is going on.
Some questions and observations

   - Is two-dot-o is a condition where is could be released?
   - Is there a migration path from 1.0.1 to two-dot-o? I do not mean a
   guide as such right now, I just mean has anyone even tried this?
   - What does the entire test suite look like for Usergrid? Does anyone
   have an automated manner for running all tests?

Thanks

Lewis

--
*Lewis*

Re: Moving two-dot-o to master

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 7:45 AM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org>
wrote:

> Some questions/comments in line.
>
> On Mon Feb 09 2015 at 9:20:42 AM Dave <sn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Feb 8, 2015 at 9:15 PM, Lewis John Mcgibbney <
> > lewis.mcgibbney@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Folks,
> > > A while back there was conversation on releasing 1.0.1 then moving
> > > two-dot-o to master as that is where most development is going on.
> > > Some questions and observations
> > >

> > Here's my take.
> >
> > >    - Is two-dot-o is a condition where is could be released?
>
> > Since we've been making source-code only releases, UG2 just as ready as
> UG1
> > for a release, which the exception of custom jars we've been using
> > temporarily (Astyanax? RxJava?). I've been doing deploys and testing with
> > UG2, and I'd recommend it over UG1.
> >

> As a user of Usergrid, it pains me to see source only releases.  I need to
> bring it down, build it (only to see the wrong version # on the JARs) and
> deploy it to my local repos to make it available to my own Ops team.  I'm
> not sure I fully understand the hesitation around providing convenience
> binaries, since Apache provides Nexus access (with full staging support to
> tie into maven releases).
>
> By providing the binaries, you're inviting people to help clean up the
> installation docs.

Based on Usergrid discussions at ApacheCon in Denver and off-line, I think
everybody agrees we need a binary release, with solid installation
documentation. We just need somebody to volunteer (or get volunteered) to
do the work.

> > >    - Is there a migration path from 1.0.1 to two-dot-o? I do not mean a
> > >    guide as such right now, I just mean has anyone even tried this?
> > >

> > There is no migration path yet and I don't know of any migration
> attempts.
> > Because the data format is different, we need to write a migration tool
> --
> > that could be a complicated piece of work. Recently, Todd, George and I
> > have been working on making the Export & Import tools work well -- that's
> > one way to migrate.
>
> Do we have the export/import documented anywhere?  I'm assuming that this
> implies I need two DB instances around?

The good news is that lots of dev work have gone into making export/import
work. The bad news is that there are still a couple of critical bugs, only
collection export/import is supported and we don't have docs yet.

> >    - What does the entire test suite look like for Usergrid? Does anyone
> > >    have an automated manner for running all tests?
> > >

> > Currently, you have to run Cassanrda and ElasticSearch separately to run
> > the stack's Maven tests. Todd is working on making this easier via
> > Arquillian and Docker. Also, you will find that some tests in Services
> and
> > REST are failing -- due to the ongoing test refactoring work there. This
> is
> > where we need to focus now, getting tests back to green.
> >

> Yes, I was planning to help him with this as well.  Unfortunately my own
> end of release stuff has been getting in the way.  I hope to pick that back
> up this week, as well as setup some prototype builds to orchestrate these
> things.

Awesome. I would be wonderful to be able to run the full suite of 2.0 stack
tests on Jenkins again, like we could with 1.0. Right now we can't.

- Dave

Re: Moving two-dot-o to master

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Some questions/comments in line.

On Mon Feb 09 2015 at 9:20:42 AM Dave <sn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 8, 2015 at 9:15 PM, Lewis John Mcgibbney <
> lewis.mcgibbney@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Folks,
> > A while back there was conversation on releasing 1.0.1 then moving
> > two-dot-o to master as that is where most development is going on.
> > Some questions and observations
> >

> Here's my take.
>

> >    - Is two-dot-o is a condition where is could be released?
> >

> Since we've been making source-code only releases, UG2 just as ready as UG1
> for a release, which the exception of custom jars we've been using
> temporarily (Astyanax? RxJava?). I've been doing deploys and testing with
> UG2, and I'd recommend it over UG1.

As a user of Usergrid, it pains me to see source only releases.  I need to
bring it down, build it (only to see the wrong version # on the JARs) and
deploy it to my local repos to make it available to my own Ops team.  I'm
not sure I fully understand the hesitation around providing convenience
binaries, since Apache provides Nexus access (with full staging support to
tie into maven releases).

By providing the binaries, you're inviting people to help clean up the
installation docs.

> >    - Is there a migration path from 1.0.1 to two-dot-o? I do not mean a
> >    guide as such right now, I just mean has anyone even tried this?
> >

> There is no migration path yet and I don't know of any migration attempts.
> Because the data format is different, we need to write a migration tool --
> that could be a complicated piece of work. Recently, Todd, George and I
> have been working on making the Export & Import tools work well -- that's
> one way to migrate.

Do we have the export/import documented anywhere?  I'm assuming that this
implies I need two DB instances around?

> >    - What does the entire test suite look like for Usergrid? Does anyone
> >    have an automated manner for running all tests?
> >

> Currently, you have to run Cassanrda and ElasticSearch separately to run
> the stack's Maven tests. Todd is working on making this easier via
> Arquillian and Docker. Also, you will find that some tests in Services and
> REST are failing -- due to the ongoing test refactoring work there. This is
> where we need to focus now, getting tests back to green.

Yes, I was planning to help him with this as well.  Unfortunately my own
end of release stuff has been getting in the way.  I hope to pick that back
up this week, as well as setup some prototype builds to orchestrate these
things.

John

Re: Moving two-dot-o to master

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.