Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by James Tauber <jt...@jtauber.com> on 1999/12/03 12:37:25 UTC

Logo for FOP?

Should FOP have a logo?

Just a thought.

Actually, I've been wanting one for a while. Here are the concepts that
could possibly be incorporated into a logo for FOP:

1. foppishness---I don't know how to convey this
2. typesetting---eg incorporating guide lines, registration marks, crop
marks, etc.
3. quill---combines idea of fine writing plus feather, symbol of Apache

What do people think?

James
--
James Tauber / jtauber@jtauber.com / www.jtauber.com
FOP / XMLINFO.COM / XMLSOFTWARE.COM / SCHEMA.NET / XSLINFO.COM

Re: Logo for FOP?

Posted by James Tauber <jt...@jtauber.com>.
> Anyway, it's just me or "foppishness" doesn't trigger any visual noise
> in my brain cortex?

Remember that FOP was suggested as a name by Chris Maden way back in August
1998 as a pun. A fop is a man obsessed with style. To be foppish is to be
obsessed with style (for some reason, every article I've seen about Hugh
Grant refers to him as foppish).

It would be nice to incorporate this somehow into the logo (foppishness, I
mean, not Hugh Grant; although we could use Hugh Grant for product
endorsement :-)

Thanks for the tip about the use of the feather.

James

Re: Logo for FOP?

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
James Tauber wrote:

> Should FOP have a logo?
>
> Just a thought.
>
> Actually, I've been wanting one for a while. Here are the concepts that
> could possibly be incorporated into a logo for FOP:
>
> 1. foppishness---I don't know how to convey this
> 2. typesetting---eg incorporating guide lines, registration marks, crop
> marks, etc.
> 3. quill---combines idea of fine writing plus feather, symbol of Apache

Careful with the Apache feather. The ASF has tons of problems because of
the Apache name and native americans getting upset for this (which it
doesn't make sense for me, but I'm european). You won't even believe how
many nasty emails we got from having a small nice logo at java.apache
showing a nice and good-looking indian cartoon.

Oh, well, keep this in mind: people will ge irrational on these things,
more than you can handle.

Anyway, it's just me or "foppishness" doesn't trigger any visual noise
in my brain cortex?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.