Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Turner, John" <JT...@AAS.com> on 2002/07/01 14:28:53 UTC

RE: Security Realm Limitations (More on protecting PDF documents. )

This is probably off-topic, but why would you want to do this on the
application server level?  How will you handle changes to the server.xml or
web.xml file?  What if there is an error/typo in that file after a change?
Will you have to stop/start tomcat for the changes to take effect?

Seems to me the better long-term solution would be to handle access control
programmatically in your application.  Keep track of users, groups, and
group memberships in a database...that way changes are instantly live and
you can easily restrict or delegate permissions for managing user accounts
and permissions to non-admin, non-root users.

John Turner
jturner@NOSPAM.aas.com
http://www.aas.com