Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Patrik Grip-Jansson <pa...@gnulix.org> on 2001/01/28 12:58:27 UTC

Authentication HOWTO

Sometime ago I volunteered to fix up Bowen's authentication articles into
a howto. However work reared its ugly head and I haven't had the time
until today. I'm more or less done, but I'd like some more input on a
couple of things from the articles.

In one of the examples Rich has a; AuthGroupFile /dev/null. Is this
really good practice?

In a couple of places Rich talks about how mod_auth sometimes doesn't
authenticate if the user list file is too big. Does anyone know why this
happens? I assume that something times out while waiting for a reply from
the module. It would be nice to include an explanation as to why this
happens.

I think that's all for now. I'll upload the howto into the CVS as soon as
possible...

--
.---------------------.
| Patrik Grip-Jansson |
| 78444 Borlänge   .--'-----------------------------------.
| Sweden           |  All views and opinions are my own,  |
`------------------| PH:+46(0)24382823 PW:+46(0)707354360 |
                   `--------------------------------------'

Re: Authentication HOWTO

Posted by jo...@slive.ca.
On Sun, 28 Jan 2001, Patrik Grip-Jansson wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Jan 2001, Rich Bowen wrote:
>
> > Patrik Grip-Jansson wrote:
> > > In one of the examples Rich has a; AuthGroupFile /dev/null. Is this
> > > really good practice?
> > I don't remember where I got that from, but it does work. If you have
> > users, but no groups, you don't have to create a group file.
>
> Yes, it does work. However, if you set it to /dev/null, the module will
> open that "file" and try to read the groups from it. If you don't supply
> any filename, the the group filename will be a NULL pointer and all group
> checks will be skipped. Which ought to be a bit faster.

I think you are correct there.  I haven't tested or checked the code,
but I seem to remember that the "optimal" configuration is just to leave
out the AuthGroupFile line entirely if you don't use group files.

Regarding the "file too large" issue, I would just replace that with a
recommendation that mod_auth_dbm (or other db backed module) be used for
large databases for speed reasons.

Joshua.

Re: Authentication HOWTO

Posted by Patrik Grip-Jansson <pa...@gnulix.org>.
On Sun, 28 Jan 2001, Rich Bowen wrote:

> Patrik Grip-Jansson wrote:
> > In one of the examples Rich has a; AuthGroupFile /dev/null. Is this
> > really good practice?
> I don't remember where I got that from, but it does work. If you have
> users, but no groups, you don't have to create a group file.

Yes, it does work. However, if you set it to /dev/null, the module will
open that "file" and try to read the groups from it. If you don't supply
any filename, the the group filename will be a NULL pointer and all group
checks will be skipped. Which ought to be a bit faster.

> > In a couple of places Rich talks about how mod_auth sometimes doesn't
> > authenticate if the user list file is too big. Does anyone know why this
> This one really deserves a little more research. I had this problem a
> while back, and rather than actually solving the problem, I switched to
> mod_auth_mysql to get around the problem. I think it would be a good
> idea to try to track down why this happens, and possibly get it fixed if
> it is deemed a bug. I found the the actual size of the list at which
> things started crapping out was different for different machines, but I
> never really investigated much farther than that.

Since it differs from machine to machine it ought to be a time out of some
sort. I did a quit search through the mod_auth source and didn't find any
timers in that code (not that I was all that thorough...) But I guess
something else could cause a time out, perhaps the TimeOut directive is
involved somehow? Unfortunately the inner workings of Apache's modules
is not my forte...

--
.---------------------.
| Patrik Grip-Jansson |

Re: Authentication HOWTO

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
Patrik Grip-Jansson wrote:

> Sometime ago I volunteered to fix up Bowen's authentication articles into
> a howto. However work reared its ugly head and I haven't had the time
> until today. I'm more or less done, but I'd like some more input on a
> couple of things from the articles.
>
> In one of the examples Rich has a; AuthGroupFile /dev/null. Is this
> really good practice?

I don't remember where I got that from, but it does work. If you have
users, but no groups, you don't have to create a group file.

> In a couple of places Rich talks about how mod_auth sometimes doesn't
> authenticate if the user list file is too big. Does anyone know why this
> happens? I assume that something times out while waiting for a reply from
> the module. It would be nice to include an explanation as to why this
> happens.

This one really deserves a little more research. I had this problem a
while back, and rather than actually solving the problem, I switched to
mod_auth_mysql to get around the problem. I think it would be a good
idea to try to track down why this happens, and possibly get it fixed if
it is deemed a bug. I found the the actual size of the list at which
things started crapping out was different for different machines, but I
never really investigated much farther than that.

--
    Rich Bowen --  Director of Web Application Development
   http://www.cre8tivegroup.com/  --  rich@cre8tivegroup.com

Re: Authentication HOWTO

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Sun, 28 Jan 2001, Patrik Grip-Jansson wrote:

> Sometime ago I volunteered to fix up Bowen's authentication articles into
> a howto.

So what every happend to this?

(Just asking ;-)

Joshua.