Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by David Pratt <fa...@eastlink.ca> on 2005/03/22 19:12:20 UTC

[users@httpd] Server configuration stategy

Hi.  This is my first post on this list.  I am hoping I am posting in
the right place.

I have just obtained a second server.  Each uses an apache proxy to
serve zope but I will also be serving other information directly out of
the apache roots.  I am wanting to reconfigure them for some
standardized sites I wish to serve but need advice on best way to
achieve what I want to do.  For illustration, I will use four dummy
domain names:  mydomain.com, mydomain2.com, mydomain3.com and
mydomain4.com  and use apollo.mydomain.com and artemis.mydomain.com as
my server names.

The two main domains, mydomain.com and mydomain2.com are currently
served from apollo.mydomain.com using a fairly basic configuration. I
have an ssl certificate for mydomain.com and am just in the process of
acquiring a chained ssl so I will be able to have ssl on all the
subdomains of mydomain I plan to use in future.

I want apollo.mydomain.com to be the master server and
artemis.mydomain.com to be the slave.  I want to duplicate the slaves
as I expand my business later on by pretty much cloning the
configuration of artemis later on.

Ok, here is my trouble.  I want my existing sever apollo AND the new
server artemis to serve subdomains of mydomain like:
29823045.mydomain.com, 57480302.mydomain.com, 87298736.mydomain.com,
etc. since I want to use a chained ssl certificate to manage the
authenticity and encrypt data. I want to serve 20 sites per server.

I also want my second major domain, mydomain2 to serve files out of the
apache root for each server (apollo AND artemis).  I use FreeBSD so my
web root is at /usr/local/www.  I am setting up a folder called sites
in each web root and I want the mydomain2.com to be able to serve
information from folders in /usr/local/www/sites from apollo and the
folder in /usr/local/www/sites from artemis.

So I have two issues that I have not encountered.  Serving same domain
over more that one server and what I have to do for this and secondly
how to serve a domain out of the apache root of more than one server.
Can someone provide some advice on doing this.  At this point, I am not
very familiar with apache rewrite rules but my main goal is to
determine whether what I am trying to do is viable and if so, advice on
what I ought to be doing to proceed with this.

Many thanks.
David