Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Jiří Kovalský <ji...@oracle.com> on 2019/10/09 21:46:03 UTC

[news] Plugin Portal 3.0 on the horizon

Hello NetBeans people,

    if you have ever fine-tuned your NetBeans IDE with some
community-contributed plugin or you are a plugin developer yourself,
please read this e-mail carefully.

    The last reason for netbeans.org domain existence is the NetBeans
Plugin Portal - our repository of NetBeans extensions. Given the
original infrastructure is no longer maintained by Oracle and in order
to avoid potential legal issues with hosting 3rd party binaries licensed
under Apache incompatible licenses we have decided for a complete
rewrite of the Plugin Portal website.

    Today, we are happy to announce the result of our effort, the brand
new Plugin Portal version 3.0 [1] which is running on the same Apache
infrastructure which already hosts Synergy - the tests management tool
for NetCAT programs.

[1] http://netbeans-vm.apache.org/pluginportal/

The 3 most substantial changes if compared with Plugin Portal 2.0 are:

* Only plugins published in the Maven Central Repository can be
registered in the Plugin Portal 3.0.
* Only NBM or JAR file types are supported binary formats.
* Google SSO is used as authentication mechanism.

    The concept of community controlled publishing of plugins on the
Plugin Portal Update Center remains unchanged i.e. if two verifiers
approve a plugin and nobody disapproves it, the plugin gets
automatically added to the module catalog for appropriate NetBeans version.

    Sounds good so far? Cool! The purpose of this message though is to
ask for cooperation. :) As you could have guessed we need to load the
new Plugin Portal with meaningful plugins so if you have developed a
NetBeans plugin, please publish it in the Maven Central and then share
it with others through the new Plugin Portal. And obviously sending us
any feedback on the registration process or Plugin Portal's new user
interface in general will be much appreciated! Bugs should be created
against "updatecenters - Pluginportal" component.

    Finally, once the final polishing is made, we will open source the
codebase so that everyone can participate in improving the website. And
if you are curious, the credit for creating the new Plugin Portal goes
to Jan Pirek (jpirek). Hats off to you, Jan!

Thanks and long live the Plugin Portal 3.0!

Best regards,
-Jirka

Re: [news] Plugin Portal 3.0 on the horizon

Posted by Junichi Yamamoto <ju...@gmail.com>.
Awesome work!
Thanks a lot, Jan and Jirka!

Best regards,
Junichi

Posted by Alessandro <al...@gmail.com>.
Jiri, I have received the mail notifications from the system signaling the
approval for each NB version I applied to.

Thanks for the kind words, this plugin was more like a test bed before
applying it to my more important NB Spring Boot plugin.

Regards,
Alex

Posted by Jiří Kovalský <ji...@oracle.com>.
Hi Alessandro,

Posted by Alessandro <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jiri,

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
The thinking is that we can’t guarantee to users that any random repo is
stable, while the Maven Central repo is that.

Of course, we can discuss this and where possible modify and adapt as
needed. But we need to start somewhere, otherwise we’ll be working on this
forever.

Source code, to be donated to Apache:

github.com/jpirek/pp3

Gj

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sven Reimers <sv...@gmail.com>.
Well, maven is an Apache thing, maven central is not...

I was not asking for a different repository type, but just an additional
maven repository provider....

Thanks for reconsidering

-Sven

Jiří Kovalský <ji...@oracle.com> schrieb am Fr., 11. Okt. 2019,
15:12:

Posted by Jiří Kovalský <ji...@oracle.com>.
Hi Sven,

Posted by Sven Reimers <sv...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Great news!  Thanks for all the work.  Few questions below ...

On Wed, 9 Oct 2019 at 23:11, Jiří Kovalský <ji...@oracle.com> wrote:
>     Today, we are happy to announce the result of our effort, the brand
> new Plugin Portal version 3.0

Big question - shall we point the plugin portal for 11.2 to this from
release?  That should push plugin authors to migrate plugins quickly,
and users can always set up a link to the 11.0/11.1 plugin portal
manually in the transition.  We can redirect the 11.0 and 11.1 links
later.

> [1] http://netbeans-vm.apache.org/pluginportal/

That link is http.  It seems to load OK via https, and we should force that.

Also, in the catalog XML file link you shared off-list the plugin
links are http.  That should be changed again to ensure https is used
before switching.

I assume the catalog redirects via the VM for stats, etc.  how do
people see the actual link to the file they're downloading?

>     The concept of community controlled publishing of plugins on the
> Plugin Portal Update Center remains unchanged i.e. if two verifiers
> approve a plugin and nobody disapproves it, the plugin gets
> automatically added to the module catalog for appropriate NetBeans version.

What happens when a plugin is updated?  Do we require re-validation?
I hope so.  I and others have asked about adding SHA hash in the
catalog file, validated by the IDE, to ensure that the file downloaded
is the exact one that has been verified.  Maven links should at least
be stable, so maybe less of an issue?  But we should do all we can to
ensure third-party links we include in the IDE always go to the same
code.

>     Finally, once the final polishing is made, we will open source the
> codebase so that everyone can participate in improving the website.

Seems a little backwards in approach for an Apache project! ;-)

Thanks and best wishes,

Neil

Re: [news] Plugin Portal 3.0 on the horizon

Posted by Jiří Kovalský <ji...@oracle.com>.
Hi Junichi,

    yes, Neil Smith has already reminded us about HTTPS protocol
earlier. Thanks for filing the ticket. It's on our radar.

Have a nice day,
-Jirka

Posted by Junichi Yamamoto <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jirka,

I came across a login problem a few days ago. So, I've submitted it to
the JIRA: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-3227

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
This is excellent news!!

Congratulations,
Antonio

Posted by Jiří Kovalský <ji...@oracle.com>.
Dne 15. 10. 19 v 11:36 John Mc napsal(a):

> We should also allow for Apache accounts to login?

Do you think that more NetBeans plugin developers have Apache accounts
than Google accounts?

> What group is in charge of verifying the plugins?  the PMC - if so the > Yes, Apache accounts should be allowed to login.  If not then where
is this
> managed?

No, PMC has nothing to do with that. Verification of plugins is in the
hands of a group of NetBeans community volunteers. If you want to join
the team, let me know but it represents a long term commitment to test
incoming NetBeans plugin against multiple different versions and then
casting your votes almost on a daily basis.

Would you be interested John?

-Jirka

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
Source code is now here in our Apache NetBeans tools repo:

https://github.com/apache/netbeans-tools/tree/master/pp3

Gj

Posted by Jiří Kovalský <ji...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.