Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Luca Martini <l....@list-group.com> on 2012/05/28 17:40:15 UTC

Qpid 0.16 build hangs on generating man pages

Dear all,
I tried to build qpid 0.16 cpp from source but the build hangs during
man page generation phase:
> help2man --no-info --include=./qpidd.x --output=qpidd.1-t --help-option="--help --no-module-dir" --version-option="--version --no-module-dir" ../../src/qpidd

is the last line printed on terminal.
 From top I see that the process lt-qpidd is using 100% of a CPU, while
help2man memory is at ~20% with increasing memory usage. After some
minutes I had to stop (help2man was using more than 10gB).
Is anyone experiencing the same problem?
For a quick fix I commented the relevant part of the cpp/docs/man/Makefile

I'm on RHEL5.
Regards,
	Luca Martini

P.S.
I did not have help2man installed and the behaviour during the build was
similar (sed was used instead of help2man), so I thought it was some
problems with sed scripts, but after installing help2man and repeating
configure and make the result si the one that I described before.

--
Luca Martini
List S.p.A.

Re: Qpid 0.16 build hangs on generating man pages

Posted by DGPickett <DG...@aol.com>.
PS: Strangely, the file qpid-0.16/cpp/docs/man/qpidd.1 is delivered with old
content and overwritten:
1c1,2
< .TH QPIDD "1" "June 2012" "qpidd (qpidc) version 0.16" "User Commands"
---

Posted by DGPickett <DG...@aol.com>.
I get something similar without help2man, which is not required, apparently.
For me, lt-qpidd feeds grep and sed forever in generate_manpage, but not for
other users on the same machine and id, so there is something subtle going
on.  Maybe it hates output redirected to a file, or something such?