Posted to dev@xmlbeans.apache.org by David Bau <da...@bea.com> on 2003/10/09 23:44:05 UTC

Re: bts notes

Cool Patrick, thanks for the careful review; you got some good
catches.  I'll do the things you're recommending below.

Hope you don't mind, ccin'g xmlbeans-dev.

David
Posted by Scott Ziegler <zi...@bea.com>.
FYI, I just checked in a fix for this, and one problem with the
builtins.

--Scott

Re: bts notes

Posted by Scott Ziegler <zi...@bea.com>.

Re: bts notes

Re: bts notes

Re: bts notes

Posted by Scott Ziegler <zi...@bea.com>.
On Fri, 2003-10-10 at 08:44, David Bau wrote:
> > 2. In BindingFile it feels like the maps from xmlname -> javaname should
> > contain the BindingType as the value, not the javaname (and vice
> > versa).  Otherwise there is an object creation for every lookup, which
> > seems bad.
>
> Storing namepairs rather than xmlnames or javanames to avoid the object
> creation.  Perhaps NamePair should be made public (BindingTypeName)?
> Opinions?

I was hoping to use BindingType as the key to some hash structures.  Do
you think that's ok?  If so, personally I don't think I'll need a pair
class (but we do need real equals/hashcode methods on BindingTypes).  If
not then I think we do need a public NamePair class with good
hashCode/equals methods to use as a hash key.

--Scott

Re: bts notes

Posted by Scott Ziegler <zi...@bea.com>.

Re: bts notes

Posted by David Bau <da...@bea.com>.
Thanks again, notes below for both emails.

Posted by David Bau <da...@bea.com>.
Thanks again, notes below for both emails.

> My comments after starting to use the code:
>
> 1. Looks like you forgot to implement some of the lookup methods in
> BuiltinBindingLoader -- they are just returning null.

Fixing.

> 2. In BindingFile it feels like the maps from xmlname -> javaname should
> contain the BindingType as the value, not the javaname (and vice
> versa).  Otherwise there is an object creation for every lookup, which
> seems bad.

Storing namepairs rather than xmlnames or javanames to avoid the object
creation.  Perhaps NamePair should be made public (BindingTypeName)?
Opinions?

> 3. It seems like BindingFile and BuiltinBindingLoader might share some
> common code (or should), so perhaps they should inherit from a common
> base class since most of the map operations are the same between the
> two.

Factoring as suggested.

> 4. Personally, I think that users of these classes should not be aware
> that xmlbeans is living underneath.  Yet I find that to create a
> BindingLoader from a xml binding file I need to instantiate the xml
> bean.  Ideally I would like to be able to hand some factory a Collection
> of File objects and get back a BindingLoader, but I guess I can write
> that myself.

Will add factory methods that opeate on files/streams.

> --Scott
>
> On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 14:44, David Bau wrote:
> > Cool Patrick, thanks for the careful review; you got some good
> > catches.  I'll do the things you're recommending below.
> >
> > Hope you don't mind, ccin'g xmlbeans-dev.
> >
> > David

Done.

> [...]

by
> > > full-qualified names in the code, as opposed to using imports.  Is
there a
> > > reason for this?  Makes the code a bit harder to read.

Because of the way we named the APIs and the schema types, there are
a bunch of name collisions.  Also, it's just sort of a way of making it
clear
when we're dealing with a physical vs logical object.  If we can think of
better
(different) names for either the schema types or the BTS, I'm happy to
change
them around.  I'm not really happy with our names (but then when can you
ever really be happy with a name)?

> > > - A few classes could use at least a one-line classdoc.  It's usually
> > > fairly obvious what they are for, but still...

Yes, adding...

David

Re: bts notes

Posted by Scott Ziegler <zi...@bea.com>.