Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> on 2007/11/04 23:58:33 UTC

[s2] JUEL plugin (was Roadmap for the core taglib)

Whoa, where did that one come from?  I was just begging for such a
plugin yesterday on #struts from Richard Burton, who is working on an
MVEL one.  I could see Struts 3 == new taglib + JUEL + robust rest and
codebehind.

As for the problem of so many combinations of plugins, I'm all for the
proliferation of plugins, but do think we need to not ship with two
plugins that solve the same problem.  For example, it would be
confusing to ship with two codebehind plugins or two expression
language plugins, especially since the latter could require its own
taglib.  The distribution we ship as official Struts 2 should stay
coherent and focused.

Don

Re: [s2] JUEL plugin (was Roadmap for the core taglib)

Posted by Tom Schneider <sc...@gmail.com>.
Isn't that what Ted wanted?  A new plug-in a day for 60 days.  :)  I
have one lined up for tomorrow.
Tom

Posted by Chris Pratt <th...@gmail.com>.
On Nov 4, 2007 2:58 PM, Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> wrote:

> As for the problem of so many combinations of plugins, I'm all for the
> proliferation of plugins, but do think we need to not ship with two
> plugins that solve the same problem.

I believe Struts already ships multiple plugins that solve the same
problem.  The View and the File Upload problems each have multiple
plugins.  I think the whole point is choice, and I don't see any
problem with shipping that choice as part of Struts.  Ted has also
championed a one-stop, "getting started" file that would contain a
single solution to each of the problems (with the exception of the
view), which I think takes care of the problem of confusing new users.
 But that's just one, non-committer's, opinion.
  (*Chris*)