Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Sean Owen <sr...@apache.org> on 2018/08/15 18:50:19 UTC

Proposing an 18-month maintenance period for feature branches

This was mentioned in another thread, but I wanted to highlight this
proposed change to our release policy:

https://github.com/apache/spark-website/pull/136

Right now we don't have any guidance about how long feature branches get
maintenance releases. I'm proposing 18 months as a guide -- not a hard
limit, just a target.

If feature releases happen every 6 months, that means master + 3 feature
branches are 'live' at any one time, which seems like plenty. This also
means 2.1.x is now EOL.

Comments? on the PR.