Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by "t.n.a." <tn...@sharanet.org> on 2005/04/13 00:50:07 UTC

hosting - web application deployment howto?

Hi,

it's time to deploy my first tapestry app and even though I've done some
googling, I ran into a problem I haven't seen on previous instalations
on intranets.
The problem seems to be the environment.

My target environment:
- a remote server
- vanilla tomcat 5.5.7 (no tapestry jars in either shared/lib or common/lib)
- /home/myusername/public_html/ application folder
- no manager app
- no access to server.xml or the CATALINA_HOME/webapps folder

My development environment:
- my workstation
- tomcat 5.5.7 with tapestry, ognl and jars in CATALINA_HOME/shared/lib
- X:\whatever\appname\ application folder
- manager app
- r/w access to server.xml and CATALINA_HOME/webapps - I'm using server.xml

My application doesn't have anything in it's context directory: just
WEB-INF and some css: all the .html, .page and the web.xml files are in
WEB-INF. I don't know why this works on my devel machine, but it works.
What I'd like to know is:
- how do I let tomcat know that the application is there
(/home/myusername/public_html)?
- must I ask the admin to place the tapestry jars in shared/lib or can I
used the ones I bundle in WEB-INF/classes/lib?
- if I bundle my app in a .war file, what's the minimum I must do in
order to deploy the app that way?

I don't know where to start with questions, actualy. :(
At which URL will the app be available when it's online? Is web.xml used
to let tomcat know where the app is and if so, how? Do I need to set a
class path or other env settings? Questions, questions, questions...

Thanks in advance,
Tomislav