Posted to user@hive.apache.org by imen Megdiche <im...@gmail.com> on 2012/12/13 11:31:38 UTC

Incresing map reduce tasks will increse the time of the cpu does this seem to be correct

Hello,

I am trying to increase the number of map and reduce tasks for a job and
even for the same data size, I noticed that the total time CPU increases but
I thought it would decrease. MapReduce is known for performance calculation,
but I do not see this when i  do these small tests.

What de you thins about this issue ?

Re: Incresing map reduce tasks will increse the time of the cpu does this seem to be correct

Posted by imen Megdiche <im...@gmail.com>.
Ok, but if i would search a solution faor warehousing big data, it s rather
hive a best solution actually. I know that facebook uses Hive.

Posted by Mohammad Tariq <do...@gmail.com>.

Posted by imen Megdiche <im...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mohammad Tariq <do...@gmail.com>.
You are welcome.

First things first. We can never compare Hadoop with traditional warehouse
systems or DBMSs. Both are meant for different purposes.

One small example, consider you have 1G of data, then there is nothing that
could match RDBMSs. You'll get the results instantly, as you have specified
above. Now, suppose your company is doing very good has grown very big and
you have 500TB of data. If you try to process this much data using any
traditional system you would face a lot of difficulty, as these systems
have got poor horizontal scalability. The only thing which you could is
increasing your H/W capacity, which can be done only upto a certain limit.
Now, Hadoop comes into picture here.

You can combine 'N' small machines together and utilize their power
collectively to process your huge data. Basic principle of distributed
computing. Long story short, you cannot evaluate the power of Hadoop on a
small dataset. If you are going to do some OLTP kinda thing, I would not
suggest Hadoop. Same holds good for Hive or Pig. Hadoop is basically a
batch processing system and not meant for realtime stuff.

Now, coming back to your actual question, the no. of mappers depends mainly
on the no. of InputSplits created by the InputFormat you are using to
process you data and the no. of reducers depend on the no of partitions
created after the map phase.

HTH

Regards,
    Mohammad Tariq