Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by David Smiley <ds...@mitre.org> on 2002/05/01 00:47:27 UTC

Re: Newsgroup integration, and other questions

> > 1: What's so wrong about sending out single innocent DHCP UDP packet to
> > query the DNS server on startup?  Is that really so bad?
>
> Ok, but then what?

To find the DNS servers so I don't have to specify this myself in the
configuration.

~ David Smiley

Re: Newsgroup integration, and other questions

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Oh, oh, I see what you mean... well, don't you risk grabbing a lease
that some other machine could use (assuming you're pulling from a pool
of IP addresses)?  This might be a cool thing to do though... I don't
know the specifics of the DHCP protocol, but would be nice to have a
conf setting to use DHCP is this would work.

I found this and think I had tested using this once before..
http://www.dhcp.org/javadhcp/  It's GPL so we couldn't use it as is, but
perhaps we could talk to the author about the code... hasn't been
modified since 9/13/99.
--
Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com/