Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org> on 2017/04/21 19:01:48 UTC

Help With SA Machines was Re: Mass check and rule updates - Down for machine migration

On 4/20/2017 9:49 AM, David Jones wrote:
> I am a RedHat/CentOS person -- former RHCE in RHEL 6 and current
> RHCSA in RHEL 7.  If you want to use CentOS 7, I can help.
+dev list for SpamAssassin.

David, short of me running own boxes outside of the foundation,
Infrastructure confirmed that it's Ubuntu or the highway.  But we do
always need help and fresh blood and you might be helpful even on Ubuntu
because the work is pretty heavy on cross-disciplinary work from DNS to
HTML to SSH.

You, Eric and Brian all mentioned helping so this email is specifically
for you three.  With any project, there is always a need for talent
beyond programmers like testers, people to answer users, docs,
sysadmins, etc.

Would you like to step up to helping formally with sysadmin work on the
boxes?  I can give a lot of guidance towards how I would do things and
there are some specific goals that I think are achievable.
Specifically, we need to get the sa-vm1 Ubuntu box online replacing what
two older boxes used to do.  I have specifics and I migrated one of
those boxes about 2 years ago from Solaris to Centos and I have pretty
copious notes.

If you would like to step up and be a committer on the project, Do any
of you have an ICLA on file? Would you file one?
https://www.apache.org/dev/new-committers-guide.html

Beyond that, there is private data on these servers so there is some
level of ethics you need that goes beyond what the ASF typically covers
for contributors. I use this code of ethics for my work as a sysadmin:
https://www.pccc.com/base.cgim?template=sage_code_of_ethics   Could you
follow that?

Regards,
KAM

--
Kevin A. McGrail
Asst. Treasurer, Apache Software Foundation

Re: Help With SA Machines was Re: Mass check and rule updates - Down for machine migration

Posted by David Jones <dj...@ena.com>.
>From: Kevin A. McGrail <km...@apache.org>

>On 4/20/2017 9:49 AM, David Jones wrote:
>> I am a RedHat/CentOS person -- former RHCE in RHEL 6 and current
>> RHCSA in RHEL 7.  If you want to use CentOS 7, I can help.
>+dev list for SpamAssassin.

>David, short of me running own boxes outside of the foundation,
>Infrastructure confirmed that it's Ubuntu or the highway.  But we do
>always need help and fresh blood and you might be helpful even on Ubuntu
>because the work is pretty heavy on cross-disciplinary work from DNS to
>HTML to SSH.

>You, Eric and Brian all mentioned helping so this email is specifically
>for you three.  With any project, there is always a need for talent
>beyond programmers like testers, people to answer users, docs,
>sysadmins, etc.

>Would you like to step up to helping formally with sysadmin work on the
>boxes?  I can give a lot of guidance towards how I would do things and
>there are some specific goals that I think are achievable.
>Specifically, we need to get the sa-vm1 Ubuntu box online replacing what
>two older boxes used to do.  I have specifics and I migrated one of
>those boxes about 2 years ago from Solaris to Centos and I have pretty
>copious notes.

I would still like to help.  I do like many things about Debian and this would
be something to help me broaden my knowledge to Ubuntu.  I have plenty
of experience where I could definitely support Ubuntu.  It may require me
to do a little research as I go just to learn the best practices on Ubuntu as
I try to stick with RedHat best practices on CentOS.

There are many different ways to admin servers but I have learned
sticking with the OS's standards goes a long way with future support
and especially when there are multiple sysadmins on the same servers.

>If you would like to step up and be a committer on the project, Do any
>of you have an ICLA on file? Would you file one?
>https://www.apache.org/dev/new-committers-guide.html

I will submit an ICLA shortly under my personal email address that will
remain with me in the event I leave my current employer.

>Beyond that, there is private data on these servers so there is some
>level of ethics you need that goes beyond what the ASF typically covers
>for contributors. I use this code of ethics for my work as a sysadmin:
>https://www.pccc.com/base.cgim?template=sage_code_of_ethics   Could you
>follow that?

Absolutely.   Very nice document.

Posted by David Jones <dj...@ena.com>.