Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by "Mark D. Hansen" <m....@verizon.net> on 2004/07/01 14:40:05 UTC

SOAPAction - does Axis do anything with it?

Does Axis do anything with the SOAPAction HTTP header?  I know it is required, but seems like it always has value "".  Doesn't WSDL 1.1 specify use of this to specify the operation when doing doc/lit?

Thanks,

Mark

RE: SOAPAction - does Axis do anything with it?

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <an...@manes.net>.
A SOAPAction value is never required. (It can be no value, empty value (""),
or a URI.) The SOAPAction value is only used as a "hint" -- even with
doc/lit. A SOAP server should always dispatch the request based on the
message signature, which is the QName of the first child element of the
<soap:Body>.

If you are using Axis to access a service developed with a different SOAP
engine, and that service specifies a SOAPAction value, then Axis client
should specify the appropriate SOAPAction value.

Anne