Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Tom Plunkett <th...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/02 17:23:34 UTC

re: apache license 2.0: having trouble getting our university licensing office to like it, your thoughts?

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 9:24 PM, <le...@apache.org> wrote:
> [...]

John,

One possibility is to look at this as an open source evangelism
opportunity.  The business people in the licensing office look at
everything from an ROI perspective, i.e. how does the university get
revenue out of university assets?

Perhaps your licensing office office is unaware of all of the business
benefits the UC system and your industrial collaborator would receive
from moving your project to Google code.

Perhaps your licensing office does not know whether there actually are
any patent rights involved.  Has anyone made an effort to determine
whether anything would be given away by making your code open source?
Perhaps your licensing office is unaware that you did not file any
patents on the code you are giving away.  Reducing the risk that
patent rights are involved might alleviate some of the licensing
office's concerns.

Regards,

Tom