Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by David Krmpotic <da...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/07 10:19:02 UTC

svn:ignore bug on Vista

Hi,

I noticed a pretty serious issue with SVN client. I'm 100% sure that the
behaviour I am experiencing on Vista is not normal. I'm using 1.4.5 and
didn't have the same problems on XP or Ubuntu.

D:\project>svn ps svn:ignore "*" log
property 'svn:ignore' set on 'app'
property 'svn:ignore' set on 'components'
property 'svn:ignore' set on 'config'
property 'svn:ignore' set on 'db'
property 'svn:ignore' set on 'doc'
property 'svn:ignore' set on 'lib'
property 'svn:ignore' set on 'log'
property 'svn:ignore' set on 'public'
svn: Cannot set 'svn:ignore' on a file ('Rakefile')

Svn is setting ignore on all(?) folders.. and it really is (I checked
dir-props-base for listed folders).

If I try to do that:

D:\project>cd log
D:\project\log>svn ps svn:ignore "*" .
property 'svn:ignore' set on '.'

log\.svn\dir-prop-base looks like this:

K 10
svn:ignore
V 5
.svn

END

So even this doesn't work... I was expecting a "*" instead of ".svn". As
a matter of fact in first attemp when it was setting svn:ignore all over
the place, in every dir-prop-base I noticed ".svn" as well...

It seems there are two problems at once.

I hope someone can confirm this. Thank you very much!

David

Re: svn:ignore bug on Vista

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
On 10/7/07, David Krmpotic <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Aha! These are bytes.. Well.. Vista is expanding a STAR so I cannot sneak it
> in without editing the file manually..

No, you don't. Use the propedit command.

bye,

Erik.

Re: svn:ignore bug on Vista

Posted by David Krmpotic <da...@gmail.com>.
<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Aha! These are bytes.. Well.. Vista is expanding a STAR so I cannot
sneak it in without editing the file manually.. <br>
so issuing this:<br>
sets <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="svn:ignore">svn:ignore</a> on all the dirs because the star is replaced by dir
names by vista!<br>
hmm wait.. I forgot about propedit. OK then this is a solution for
now.. any maybe forever, because Vista will continue expanding that
star no matter what. It's interesting that XP also expands it when
written like this:<br>
but not when the star is enclosed by quotation marks.<br>
Thank you all, I learned everything I wanted to know.. I appreciate
your time and hopefully I can start being helpful around svn
development as well.. I have a big interest in that and was already
exploring the developers section.. It's a little bit hard to get
orientated though. Maybe because I'm beginner in open-source
development. We'll see..<br>
Thank you again!<br>
David<br>
Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
 cite="mid:53c059c90710070531o1151fb1dm76c86e0d2d48b8d8@mail.gmail.com"
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap="">On 10/7/07, David Krmpotic <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:david.krmpotic@gmail.com">&lt;david.krmpotic@gmail.com&gt;</a> wrote:
  </pre>
    <pre wrap=""> David thank you,

 that makes a lot of sense.. I will investigate possible workarounds...
 If you (or anyone else) would be so kind, I have another related question..
 What do the numbers by K and V mean?

 because now I could issue a command with something else instead of a "*"
and then go edit dir-props manually.. the only problem is that the numbers
are changing and I'm not sure what they mean..
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
They are (K)ey (V)alue pairs.  The numbers indicate how many bytes
each key and value is.

That said, you should NEVER edit ANYTHING inside .svn/.  You will
corrupt your working copy, guaranteed.   Just use svn propset/propedit
to change property values.  What possible reason could you have for
going behind svn's back?

  </pre>

Re: svn:ignore bug on Vista

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@red-bean.com>.

Re: svn:ignore bug on Vista

Posted by David Krmpotic <da...@gmail.com>.
<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
David thank you,<br>
that makes a lot of sense.. I will investigate possible workarounds...<br>
If you (or anyone else) would be so kind, I have another related
question..<br>
What do the numbers by K and V mean? <br>
because now I could issue a command with something else instead of a
"*" and then go edit dir-props manually.. the only problem is that the
numbers are changing and I'm not sure what they mean.. <br>
thank you!<br>
david<br>
David Glasser wrote:
 cite="mid:1ea387f60710070449n2d3e3088p74a21e1c64d43f13@mail.gmail.com"
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap="">On 10/7/07, David Krmpotic <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:david.krmpotic@gmail.com">&lt;david.krmpotic@gmail.com&gt;</a> wrote:
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">Hi,

I noticed a pretty serious issue with SVN client. I'm 100% sure that the
behaviour I am experiencing on Vista is not normal. I'm using 1.4.5 and
didn't have the same problems on XP or Ubuntu.

D:\project&gt;svn ps <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="svn:ignore">svn:ignore</a> "*" log
property '<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="svn:ignore">svn:ignore</a>' set on 'app'
property '<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="svn:ignore">svn:ignore</a>' set on 'components'
property '<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="svn:ignore">svn:ignore</a>' set on 'config'
property '<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="svn:ignore">svn:ignore</a>' set on 'db'
property '<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="svn:ignore">svn:ignore</a>' set on 'doc'
property '<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="svn:ignore">svn:ignore</a>' set on 'lib'
property '<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="svn:ignore">svn:ignore</a>' set on 'log'
property '<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="svn:ignore">svn:ignore</a>' set on 'public'
svn: Cannot set '<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="svn:ignore">svn:ignore</a>' on a file ('Rakefile')

Svn is setting ignore on all(?) folders.. and it really is (I checked
dir-props-base for listed folders).

If I try to do that:

D:\project&gt;cd log
D:\project\log&gt;svn ps <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="svn:ignore">svn:ignore</a> "*" .
property '<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="svn:ignore">svn:ignore</a>' set on '.'

log\.svn\dir-prop-base looks like this:

K 10
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="svn:ignore">svn:ignore</a>
V 5
.svn

END

So even this doesn't work... I was expecting a "*" instead of ".svn". As
a matter of fact in first attemp when it was setting <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="svn:ignore">svn:ignore</a> all over
the place, in every dir-prop-base I noticed ".svn" as well...

It seems there are two problems at once.

I hope someone can confirm this. Thank you very much!
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
My guess (and I have basically no windows experience): your shell is
expanding "*" and turning that into the command

$ svn ps <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="svn:ignore">svn:ignore</a> .svn app components config db doc lib log public
Rakefile (...) log

--dave

  </pre>

Re: svn:ignore bug on Vista

Posted by David Glasser <gl...@davidglasser.net>.
On 10/7/07, David Krmpotic <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed a pretty serious issue with SVN client. I'm 100% sure that the
> behaviour I am experiencing on Vista is not normal. I'm using 1.4.5 and
> didn't have the same problems on XP or Ubuntu.
>
> D:\project>svn ps svn:ignore "*" log
> property 'svn:ignore' set on 'app'
> property 'svn:ignore' set on 'components'
> property 'svn:ignore' set on 'config'
> property 'svn:ignore' set on 'db'
> property 'svn:ignore' set on 'doc'
> property 'svn:ignore' set on 'lib'
> property 'svn:ignore' set on 'log'
> property 'svn:ignore' set on 'public'
> svn: Cannot set 'svn:ignore' on a file ('Rakefile')
>
> Svn is setting ignore on all(?) folders.. and it really is (I checked
> dir-props-base for listed folders).
>
> If I try to do that:
>
> D:\project>cd log
> D:\project\log>svn ps svn:ignore "*" .
> property 'svn:ignore' set on '.'
>
> log\.svn\dir-prop-base looks like this:
>
> K 10
> svn:ignore
> V 5
> .svn
>
> END
>
> So even this doesn't work... I was expecting a "*" instead of ".svn". As
> a matter of fact in first attemp when it was setting svn:ignore all over
> the place, in every dir-prop-base I noticed ".svn" as well...
>
> It seems there are two problems at once.
>
> I hope someone can confirm this. Thank you very much!

My guess (and I have basically no windows experience): your shell is
expanding "*" and turning that into the command

$ svn ps svn:ignore .svn app components config db doc lib log public
Rakefile (...) log

--dave

--
David Glasser | glasser@davidglasser.net | http://www.davidglasser.net/