Posted to dev@jspwiki.apache.org by Murray Altheim <mu...@altheim.com> on 2008/06/24 13:29:07 UTC

Controllable API

Not that anyone is paying that close attention, but if you have
you'd note that I'm managing a LOT of plugins. They're growing
like fungus around here. Now, I'm not trying to offload them but
my time lately has been very tight and testing has been a pain
since my typical build installation includes all of them, such
that I'm never sure of interactions. Lately I've been getting
ping'd on a number of different plugin packages that have been
bundled in the large CeryleWiki plugins jar file. I should
probably break that thing into much smaller jars. Time willing...

It occurs to me to create a very simple "Controllable" API and
add a minor callout in the PluginManager to disable the function
of a plugin based on it occurring in an excluded list, or enable
it based on an included list (either? both?). A disabled plugin
would either be entirely ignored by the parser/PluginManager,
return an empty string, or some kind of error message (this might
be defined by the API). I'm thinking of writing some kind of UI
or JSP to permit an administrator to individually set a flag for
each plugin.

Any thoughts on this? Bad idea? Good idea? Not an interesting
idea? When might this might make sense, JSPWiki-version-wise?

Thanks,

Murray

                                       -- The Blue Cliff Record

Re: Controllable API

Posted by Fabian Haupt <ka...@submerged-intelligence.de>.
Although my opinion won't count very much, i'd regard that as a great
idea. This would make it possible to enable/disable plugins as needed
without the need for a restart of the whole container. This would pave
the way for the addition and removal of plugins completely at runtime,
not only to disable/enable them.

Greets,
Fabian

Re: Controllable API

Posted by Murray Altheim <mu...@altheim.com>.
Janne Jalkanen wrote:
>> It occurs to me to create a very simple "Controllable" API and
>> add a minor callout in the PluginManager to disable the function
>> of a plugin based on it occurring in an excluded list, or enable
>> it based on an included list (either? both?). A disabled plugin
>> would either be entirely ignored by the parser/PluginManager,
>> return an empty string, or some kind of error message (this might
>> be defined by the API). I'm thinking of writing some kind of UI
>> or JSP to permit an administrator to individually set a flag for
>> each plugin.
>
> I was actually going to do something like that but sort of ran out of
> time.  Admin.jsp allows you to list all the installed plugins, and the
> idea was that you could turn plugins (well, any kind of modules:
> filters, editors, etc) on and off from there.
>
> Essentially it would mean a new field in the WikiModuleInfo, and
> necessary code in the PluginManager.  I would most prefer if the UI were
> in the form of an AdminBean.

This is where all of the new code complexity begins to show its downside.
How many new technologies would I have to learn to be able to write this
nowadays? I must admit I've not spent much time dealing with beans at all,
and certainly haven't looked into the com.ecyrd.jspwiki.ui.admin.*
package in any detail, nor the WikiInfoModule, nor Struts, nor JMX. So I
can understand why you might have ran out of time. I'm hoppiing JSPWiki
hasn't gotten to the point where people can't hack it anymore. If I'm
required to learn a number of new, complex tools I'll probably not have
the time either, such is my schedule of late.

Any suggestions on a fast(er) way through this? I'll take a look at
Admin.jsp, etc.  Basically, if you have a roadmap on what actually needs
to be done (in some detail) I could better ascertain whether or not I'll
have time to do it. That roadmap would then enable me or someone else to
implement the idea.

Thanks,

Murray

                                       -- The Blue Cliff Record

Re: Broken Plugins

Posted by Murray Altheim <mu...@altheim.com>.
Dirk Frederickx wrote:
> I confirm that Table plugin is still working on v2.6.x or v2.7.x

I suspect this may be an instance of not having added the package to
the jspwiki.plugin.searchPath property in the WEB-INF/jspwiki.properties
file. If it's not there merely adding the jar file won't do anything.

Is this the case? or something more deeply mysterious?

Murray

                                       -- The Blue Cliff Record

Re: Broken Plugins

Posted by Dirk Frederickx <di...@gmail.com>.
I confirm that Table plugin is still working on v2.6.x or v2.7.x

dirk

Re: Broken Plugins

Posted by Harry Metske <ha...@gmail.com>.
The Table plugin is not a Core plugin, so it is not in
./WEB-INF/lib/JSPWiki.jar.
In your previous installation you probably downloaded the Table.jar file
from http://www.jspwiki.org/wiki/TablePlugin and put it in the WEB-INF/lib
directory. If the jar is there, JSPWiki should be able to find it.

RE: Broken Plugins

Posted by "Mattier, Ricardo" <Ri...@bcbsma.com>.

Re: Broken Plugins

Posted by Harry Metske <ha...@gmail.com>.

Re: Broken Plugins

Posted by Harry Metske <ha...@gmail.com>.
yes, this is (together with all the jspwiki sources) in the svn repository,
see for further instructions:

RE: Broken Plugins

Posted by "Mattier, Ricardo" <Ri...@bcbsma.com>.

RE: Broken Plugins

Re: Broken Plugins

Posted by Harry Metske <ha...@gmail.com>.
- If the plugin is core plugin (

Re: Broken Plugins

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.
On Jun 25, 2008, at 16:58 , Mattier, Ricardo wrote:

> 	There are some plugins that worked in the previous iterations of
>
> JSPWiki such as [{Table}] which seem to be broken in 2.6.3. How should
> we go about fixing those plugins?

Good question.  Can you take ownership of the process of updating the
plugins?

/Janne

Broken Plugins

Re: Controllable API

Posted by Murray Altheim <mu...@altheim.com>.
Mattier, Ricardo wrote:
> There are some plugins that worked in the previous iterations of JSPWiki
> such as [{Table}] which seem to be broken in 2.6.3. How should we go
> about fixing those plugins?

Rick,

Could you start a new thread when you start a new subject? It's hard
to track issues otherwise.

Thanks,

Murray

                                       -- The Blue Cliff Record

RE: Controllable API

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.

Re: Controllable API

Posted by Murray Altheim <mu...@altheim.com>.
Janne Jalkanen wrote:
>> If I were to create a jspwiki_module.xml file for all of the plugins
>> I administer (and provide XML files for all jars I distribute), then
>> it'd be a matter of adding a single element (e.g., <enabled>, or
>> perhaps an ACL-based approach) to the XML, adding the rather minor
>> changes to com.ecyrd.jspwiki.ui.admin.beans.PluginBean to process the
>> new boolean or ACL value(s), and add the necessary functionality to
>> Admin.jsp to permit more than the current read-only display, instead
>> including a checkbox (boolean) or selector (ACL) for each plugin.
>>
>> Is this close to what's needed, or is there a lot more?
>
> That's pretty much it... :-)

Except I just realized that there might be a requirement for dependency
management. For example, a large number of my plugins are queries of
one sort or another, so they often extend QueryPlugin, or extend an
extension of QueryPlugin. If an admin turned off QueryPlugin a whole
lot of plugins would fail, and relatively inexplicably. Perhaps a simple
reflection check of what the plugin extends would work, or just rely
on documentation, which is perhaps not as elegant but gets us to a
solution a lot faster.

> You might actually want to store the "enabled/disabled" status elsehwere
> than in the jspwiki_module.xml, or else it won't be persisted across
> restarts.  So I would recommend the workdir and store it in there in
> some sort of a preferences object.  (Hmm, we already seem to have
> com.ecyrd.jspwiki.preferences...  Anyhoo, this is something that
> actually does need a bit of thinking - currently the reason why
> Admin.jsp does not store any values is because of the fact that I could
> never really figure out what the proper storage should be, and how that
> should relate to the jspwiki.properties and filters.xml files.)

Okay, will look into that. I agree -- the XML file should be an initial
set of settings but I wouldn't want to write to it. What I do in my
Ceryle application is read an XML properties file but write it back
out using its native format with .prefs extension. The presence of the
prefs file tells the app to read it instead of the properties file. I
could mimic that behaviour pretty easily.

    <properties>
      <entry key="http://purl.org/ceryle/prop/#author"></entry>
      <entry key="http://purl.org/ceryle/prop/#restoreSession">false</entry>
    </properties>

    http\://purl.org/ceryle/prop/\#author=Murray Altheim
    http\://purl.org/ceryle/prop/\#restoreSession=true

>> [I'm also curious as to how the 'alias' feature works, as I currently
>> have a fair number of classes whose sole purpose is to provide an
>> alias so that users don't have to type "Plugin" appended to what is
>> basically a predicate name). Are multiple alii possible?]
>
> At this moment, no, but it should be an easy enough extension.  Needs
> changing of the WikiPluginInfo API though.

I'll look into that as well -- sounds like it would be permitting
multiple <alias> elements or something akin.

Murray

                                       -- The Blue Cliff Record

Re: Controllable API

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.

Re: Controllable API

Posted by Murray Altheim <mu...@altheim.com>.
Janne,

Okay, a bit of RTFM for me. I'm curious as to why there'd need to be
much if anything by way of new machinery, as the Admin UI seems to be
*almost* there already.

RE: Controllable API

Posted by "Mattier, Ricardo" <Ri...@bcbsma.com>.

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.

Re: Controllable API

Posted by Andrew Jaquith <an...@mac.com>.

Re: Controllable API

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.

Re: Controllable API

Posted by Harry Metske <ha...@gmail.com>.
sounds like a good idea. Providing plugins through (dynamic runtime)
configuration instead of by including or excluding them from a piece of
software we ship.
This piece of code maybe should discover which plugins are available and
show them on a nice JSP page where you as administrator can decide which
ones to enable/disable.
Maybe that would open up the door to some more plugin configuration, for
example who is authorized to use a certain plugin (depending on a J2EE role
he/she has).

Actually I was working on a new prototype plugin, that I named
WikiPageStatPlugin (
http://www.computerhok.nl/JSPWiki/Wiki.jsp?page=TestWikiPageStatPlugin ).
An example of something that you don't want every normal user to use, but
more for an administrator.

regards,
Harry

--