Posted to ojb-dev@db.apache.org by Mahler Thomas <th...@itellium.com> on 2004/06/30 16:08:28 UTC

[ann] new release: OJB 1.0

Dear all,

I'm very happy to announce the final 1.0 release of OJB.
After a long series of release candidates we finally got enough confidence in our software
to call it "ready for prime time".

As you can see by our ever growing list of junit tests we pay attention to quality assurance.
So the long delay of the 1.0 version was not caused by "laziness" but rather by
our intention to deliver a piece of top quality software.

I want to say thanks to all committers and contributors:
You all helped to get OJB production ready!

I also want to thank all users for their patience and
I hope you all will be pleased by this 1.0 release!

>From the release notes:
ObJectRelationalBridge -- Bridging Java Objects and Relational Databases

ObJectRelationalBridge (OJB) is an Object/Relational mapping tool that
provides transparent transactional persistence for Java Objects against
relational databases. OJB provides ODMG and JDO interfaces.

Release 1.0
NEW FEATURES:
--

NOTES:
--

CHANGES:
- We introduce new PersistentField implementations in OJB.properties file called

BUG FIXES:
Please refer to our Bug tracking site (http://issues.apache.org/scarab/servlet/scarab/)
under http://issues.apache.org/scarab/servlet/scarab/issues/id/OJBxxx
to see details for a bug with id OJBxxx.

KNOWN ISSUES:
- The default ojb escape character '\' does not work for database using the same default as well and
should therefore be double-escaped. As a workaround always use a custom escape character:

	LikeCriteria.setEscapeCharacter('|');
	Criteria crit = new Criteria();
	crit.addLike("firstname", "h%|%");

This issue is fixed for MySql and PostgreSql so far.

- odmg-api: If a user exchange already existing objects in 1:n references without changing the size
of the collection, the main object will not become dirty and the FK values of the exchanged objects
will not be updated.
E.g. two objects obj_1 anf obj_2 with 1:n reference to ref objects, each with one
existing/persistent reference object, obj_1{ref_1} and obj_2{ref_2}.
Lock objects and exchange the references in collection obj_1{ref_2}
and obj_2{ref_1} and commit --> FK values of ref_1 and ref_2 will not be updated.

- odmg-api: Creation of m:n relation only works when objects created step by step (or use PB-api
as workaround), persist a whole object graph seems not to work proper.

- ReportQueries should not be used with columns referencing Classes with extents:

    ReportQueryByCriteria q = QueryFactory.newReportQuery(ProductGroup.class, crit);
    q.setAttributes(new String[] { "groupName", "sum(allArticlesInGroup.stock)", "sum(allArticlesInGroup.price)" });
    q.addGroupBy("groupName");

    ProductGroup.allArticlesInGroup points to class Article having multiple extents.

    As a workaround the query can be 'reversed' :

    ReportQueryByCriteria q = QueryFactory.newReportQuery(Article.class, crit);
    q.setAttributes(new String[] { "productGroup.groupName", "sum(stock)", "sum(price)" });
    q.addGroupBy("productGroup.groupName");

    Due to the fact the Article has extents multiple selects will be executed,
    so the same ProductGroup may show up more than once.

    Please see the testcases QueryTest#testReportQueryGroupByExtents1 and
    QueryTest#testReportQueryGroupByExtents2.

- A count on ReportQueries containing groupBy does not deliver a correct result.

- Batch handling doesn't work proper with optimistic locking. This will be fixed
before long after 1.0

enjoy,
Thomas

Re: [ann] new release: OJB 1.0

Posted by João Mota <jo...@ist.utl.pt>.
Congratulations,

we were very anxious waiting for this release. Thank you.

João Mota

Re: [ann] new release: OJB 1.0

Posted by Brian McCallister <mc...@forthillcompany.com>.
Woo hoo =)

Whee haw!

-Brian

AW: [ann] new release: OJB 1.0

Posted by Christian Eugster <ch...@bluewin.ch>.
Hi!

I want say a big thank you to Thomas Mahler and the whole team of ojb for
the really great work and congratulate to the final version 1.0 of ojb! Good
job!

Christian