Posted to users@camel.apache.org by kiranreddykasa <ki...@fss.co.in> on 2013/01/04 11:09:02 UTC

Sclaing camel

Hi

With spring and camel integration we have developed a webapp from which we
can add or remove routes at runtime.

Suppose if there is an tcp endpoint which is receiving some ten thousand
requests is it advisable to run camel instance separately ?? or is it okay
to run it in the web container itself ??

what if there are some ten tcp endpoints like these???how to scale it??

-----
Regards

kiran Reddy

Re: Sclaing camel

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.
No.

Best,
Christian

Re: Sclaing camel

Re: Sclaing camel

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.
It depends on the core framework you use (Mina, Netty, ...). Checkout the
documentation, but most of the frameworks let you configure the max. thread
pool size. The other request threads are blocked until they are served. If
the database query doesn't take too long, you can live without a queue...

Best,
Christian

Re: Sclaing camel

Re: Sclaing camel

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.
Find my comments inline.

Best,
Christian

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 11:09 AM, kiranreddykasa <ki...@fss.co.in>wrote:

> Hi
>
> With spring and camel integration we have developed a webapp from which we
> can add or remove routes at runtime.

Cool.

> Suppose if there is an tcp endpoint which is receiving some ten thousand
> requests is it advisable to run camel instance separately ?? or is it okay
> to run it in the web container itself ??

Both options are ok from the Camel point of view. Choose what ever works
best for you.

> what if there are some ten tcp endpoints like these???how to scale it??

You can scale vertical - add more CPU, RAM, ...
You can scale in your application - add more listeners (threads) to your
TCP/IP endpoint.
You can scale in your application - start the same route again on different
ports and put a load balacer up front.
You can scale horizontal - start the same application on another server and
put a load balacer up front.