Posted to users@flex.apache.org by Yariv Gilad <ya...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/18 06:57:50 UTC

Google Maps API for flex

Hi all
Does anyone here uses Google maps flash API in a flex app?
I know it is deprecated but it is suppose to be available till spt 2014
and I know for a fact that if you have a key, it works, we have one for a
testing domain we own.
However, I think it is close to impossible to generate a new key for a new
domain, so I'm a bit stuck here...  Would appreciate any experience you
might have, and any idea or Alternative.

To my knowledge, it is either finding a way to get a new key for a new
domain, or re-write the mapping module, which is quite extensive...
and if I will have no choice but to re-write the MapQuest is the only API
for flex which looks like having a decent functionality and hopefully - a
future, their maps however are different significantly in the fact they
present street names in the native language of the country you look at, so
if you have a travel related site and you want to offer English speaking
tourists maps in non-English speaking countries, it will look a bit weird...

any thoughts?
cheers
Yariv

Re: Google Maps API for flex

Posted by Doug McCune <do...@dougmccune.com>.
Yariv,

I highly recommend the combo of ModestMaps AS3 and MapBox, which you've
discovered. From my tests, MapBox's satellite coverage is better than
MapQuest's. It's not as good as Google's (nobody is), but it's good in
Europe/USA, has the best licensing of all of them, and lets you use any map
component to display the tiles. Unlike most other companies, MapBox is
actually in the business of selling you usage of map tiles.

If you need better imagery and can afford an enterprise license (and the
time sink of negotiating that), I'd recommend Bing maps. They will also let
you use ModestMaps if you pay them. That's what we do for our customers, we
offer MapBox maps as our base offering, and then have a premium Bing option
for customers who need better satellite imagery.

Re: Google Maps API for flex

Posted by Yariv Gilad <ya...@gmail.com>.
While I can see the sense in it, if the language uses an entire different
charachter set, it might be somewhat handy
think Chinese, arabic, hebrew ect... you'd want to have a proximity as to
how to pronounce that which you are looking for.
Besides, we're not looking for a reason to change our requirement, this
thread is after the means to implement a well thought out and agreed
existing requirement. which many providers happen to invest huge resources
in offering it. google maps and mapBox to name but a few...

* *

Re: Google Maps API for flex

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.

Re: Google Maps API for flex

Posted by Yariv Gilad <ya...@gmail.com>.
Hi Lionel

Re: Google Maps API for flex

Posted by "Lionel A. Pierre" <li...@medez.com>.

Re: Google Maps API for flex

Posted by Yariv Gilad <ya...@gmail.com>.
thank you all for your replies!
Yariv

 lot of sample code on their site and they have a good sample viewer to

Re: Google Maps API for flex

Posted by Paul Hastings <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Google Maps API for flex