Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Tim McClarren <ti...@nominum.com> on 2002/08/22 00:46:57 UTC

Axis performance

We are trying to use Axis beta 3 for a project that involves
transmission of considerable amounts of stuff over the wire.

It takes ~ 90 seconds to transfer a Collection of 1000 simple objects
over the wire.

Using RMI tunneled through HTTP, it takes only 2-4 seconds.

Is there something we can do to improve the performance?

Re: Axis performance

Posted by James Black <jb...@ieee.org>.
Tim McClarren wrote:

> We are trying to use Axis beta 3 for a project that involves
> transmission of considerable amounts of stuff over the wire.
>
> It takes ~ 90 seconds to transfer a Collection of 1000 simple objects
> over the wire.
>
> Using RMI tunneled through HTTP, it takes only 2-4 seconds.
>
> Is there something we can do to improve the performance?

  Turn the objects into an XML file, compress it, and then send it?

  Or, if you just turn it into an array of simple objects, it may go
faster.

Re: Axis performance

Posted by David Ward <da...@dotech.com>.
I'm guessing it's because transfering verbose xml messages (like AXIS
does) over the wire is slow.  I thought I remembered someone talking
about compressing the data before it gets sent (in both directions then
decompressing it on the other side).  Can anyone point me in a direction
that I can learn how to do that?

Thanks,
David

Re: Axis performance

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.

Re: Axis performance

Posted by Tom Zschaage <To...@first.fraunhofer.de>.
While I was browsing the Axis API I found something that might be of
interest to you to achieve a better performance.
If you are sending the type attributes for each element in your SOAP
message switch that off. However, than your client has to find out about
the types by some other source. Maybe you want to use WSDL. Or you can
hardcode it using an explicit type setting.

To turn the SEND_TYPE_ATTR off one should use this
call.setProperty(Call.SEND_TYPE_ATTR, Boolean.FALSE);
However it didn't work for me, but you can have a try.

What should happen?
In the SOAP message:
<userID xsi:type="xsd:string">tomz</userID>
should turn to
<userID>tomz</userID>
= 50% less data to transmit (at least in this case)

So long
Tom

AXIS properties:
     SEND_TYPE_ATTR - Should we send the XSI type attributes
(true/false)