Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Juan Rivera <Ju...@citrix.com> on 2002/11/18 23:58:53 UTC

Async I/O

I have been modifying the Winnt MPM to support IO Completion ports to avoid
client per thread model.

I also refactored mod_echo for testing purposes. I'm almost done but I think
the async i/o is going to introduce all sorts of compatibility problems with
filters that block while reading or writing. But if the modules are aware of
this, this is a workable solution.

I have no problem contributing the code but I think there is some planning
and discussion that need to happen before Apache can move to Async I/O.

Since you guys went through the pain of a new model for modules in 2.0, I
think if the model for async i/o is different, this will cause a lot of
complains.

Do you guys see async I/O as a 3.0 feature rather than a 2.0.

  _____

Juan C. Rivera

Citrix Systems, Inc

Tel: (954)229-6391

RE: Async I/O

Posted by Bill Stoddard <bi...@wstoddard.com>.
Yep, it is probably a 3.0 feature.  I have done some work with async i/o on
Windows and Linux and would be really interested in seeing your code.

Bill