Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Gary Turner <kk...@sbcglobal.net> on 2003/02/01 00:02:55 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Simple problem with this forum

William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

[...]
>I don't know how we can help educate users on the way in the 'front
>door' of participating in this list... but just some offhanded suggestions:

[...]
>  refer folks to read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>  since Eric Raymond has done a most excellent job of highlighting
>  the etiquette and philosophy of "how to get your question answered."
>  But really he asks how to figure out what your question is in the
>  first place :-)

Amen, brother.  I would also add
http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html to the mix.

[...]

All these are good suggestions.  It is, of course, a well documented
fact that users would rather take a beating than R The FM, FAQ, or
HOWTO.  I suspect that public humiliation for miscreants is the most
effective remedy.  Sadly, that will cause the piling up of faggots, the
erection of posts, and the bringing out of matches.  Id est, flame wars.

Ah, well...

--
gt                                kk5st@sbcglobal.net
You have a RIGHT to your opinion---even if it is crap.