Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Mark Womack <mw...@apache.org> on 2006/01/27 06:37:45 UTC

log4j 1.3alpha8 build

http://cvs.apache.org/builds/logging/log4j/log4j-1.3a8/

Take a look at it.

I plan to generate the compatibility report and post it someplace.  I still
need to figure out the problem with my building the dll.

-Mark

Re: log4j 1.3alpha8 build

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hola,

> I think I'm -0 on releasing Mark's last build.  There are a couple
> things in the build process that bother me and I think it would be
> better to take another day and fix them.  Also, I think that it would
> be best not to announce release candidates to the log4j-user list, at
> least not until the developer community sanity checks the build.   I
> am able to reproduce Mark's build (with the expected exception of
> timestamps in the generated Javadoc files).

This is mostly a philosophical difference between us.  I'm generally
+1 on releasing anything and everything for public consumption as long
as it's properly labelled (which these alpha builds are).  When you
start doing too much internal QA and reduce the number of eyeballs
looking at stuff, you lose several key benefits of the open-source
development process IMHO.

I'm not pushing hard for the release, especially since I haven't been
heavily involved with the compatibility stuff.  My original message
was intended to be in the "by the way, here's something to think
about..." tone.

--
Yoav Shapira
System Design and Management Fellow

Re: log4j 1.3alpha8 build

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Sounds good.  If the docs are all proper and work without -breakiterator, then
that's even better.  I guess we'll have to be diligent that we don't add any
new docs that run into problems.  But since they all work now, that effort
should be minor.

Jake

Re: log4j 1.3alpha8 build

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.

Re: log4j 1.3alpha8 build

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
At 06:29 PM 1/30/2006 -0600, you wrote:

 >On Jan 30, 2006, at 2:02 PM, Mark Womack wrote:
 >
 >> Of the 4 items mentioned, the jdk 1.3/1.4 issue is the biggest.  But
 >> it looks like the 1.4 dependencies have been resolved?  If so, then I
 >> can rebuild using 1.3, remove the breakiterator, and upgrade to Ant
 >> 1.6.5.  None of those will be hard to setup.

<snip>

 >The -breakiterator flag has been removed and the handful of places
 >where breakiterator made a difference resolved in trunk as of rev
 >373024.

Why?

Re: log4j 1.3alpha8 build

Posted by Mark Womack <mw...@google.com>.
i definitely had the wrong binary for mingw.

i'll post status later this evening.

-Mark

Re: log4j 1.3alpha8 build

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.

Re: log4j 1.3alpha8 build

Posted by Mark Womack <mw...@apache.org>.

Re: log4j 1.3alpha8 build

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.

Re: log4j 1.3alpha8 build

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Howdy,

Re: questions regarding log4j console prints and rolling file appender

Posted by Sumit Kumar <su...@novell.com>.
To Add with that, I am using xml configuration file to configure log4j.

Sumit

<43...@novell.com>,
sumitk@novell.com wrote:
> Hi Devs,
>
> I am using log4j alpha6 for logging. Quite good, but still facing
few
> problems and need you help ..
>
> 1. While configure, there were many messages printed on the console.
> set LogLog.setQuiteMode(true) and many of the messages gone away.
But

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
On Jan 28, 2006, at 2:56 AM, Sumit Kumar wrote:

> Thanks for solving out first Issue for me.
> However the thing which stopped me to move for alpha7 or greater is
> org.apache.log4j.rolling.RollingFileAppender is a final class in them
> and hence is not extensible.
> Its good enough for me if some one can make it extensible in alpha -8,
> gives me all reasons to move for alpha 8 !!

The behavior of o.a.l.rolling.RollingFileAppender is customizable by
replacing the triggering policy and rolling policy objects.  Those
are the anticipated extension points.  Please explain what type of
behavior change you are trying to achieve.  If they can't be
accomplished through the either the triggering policy or rolling
policy, then we can consider modifying TriggeringPolicy or
RollingPolicy, provide yet another extension point or (unlikely)
removing the final keyword.

For background on why final is our friend, see items 14 and 15 in
"Effective Java".

Re: questions regarding log4j console prints and rolling file appender

Posted by Sumit Kumar <su...@novell.com>.
Thanks for solving out first Issue for me.
However the thing which stopped me to move for alpha7 or greater is
org.apache.log4j.rolling.RollingFileAppender is a final class in them
and hence is not extensible.
Its good enough for me if some one can make it extensible in alpha -8,
gives me all reasons to move for alpha 8 !!

Regards
Sumit

<11...@my.visi.com>, hoju@visi.com wrote:
> Quoting Sumit Kumar <su...@novell.com>:
>
>> Hi Devs,
>>
>> I am using log4j alpha6 for logging. Quite good, but still facing
few
>> problems and need you help ..
>>
>> 1. While configure, there were many messages printed on the console.
>> set LogLog.setQuiteMode(true) and many of the messages gone away.
But
>> still there are few messages printed on the console.
>> As I am developing a CLI, I can not afford any such messages on the
>> console.
>> Here are the messages printed:
>>
>> *** configurationOptionStr=log4j.properties
>> ** End of LogManager static initializer
>> (there are direct SOPs .. can we comment them out .. or use logger
>> do so)
>>
>> 0 [main] WARN org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter -  No such
property
>> [storeLocation] in org.apache.log4j.Hierarchy.
>> 1 [main] WARN org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter -  No such
property
>> [logStyle] in org.apache.log4j.Hierarchy.
>> (Here xyz is the variable I am using for configuring some property
of
>> my own and not related to log4j .However I feel there must be some
way
>> to stop printing such messages on the console.)
>>

> This is the case for Log4j- 1.3 alphas less than 7.  You need to
upgrade.  The
> forced logging was there for debugging purposes in the development
of
> Log4j- 1.3.  They are removed in alpha7.  Alpha 8 is now out.  You
should move
> to that.
>
> http://cvs.apache.org/builds/logging/log4j/log4j- 1.3a8/
>
>> 2. I am extending RollingFileAppender to customize it for my
purpose.
>> However this class is final in alpha- 7 and 8 builds.
>> Can we make it extensible ??
>>

> I'm not sure where this landed or if a final decision has been made.
Lots
> of
> work is going into making Logj4- 1.3 binary compatible with 1.2.  But
I'm not

help@logging.apache.org

Re: questions regarding log4j console prints and rolling file appender

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.