Posted to dev@openwhisk.apache.org by Chetan Mehrotra <ch...@gmail.com> on 2018/09/05 13:39:25 UTC

How to do basic validation of custom OpenWhisk deployment

TL;DR How to test that a custom OpenWhisk deployment is working as expected

The requirement is that I have a custom OpenWhisk deployment and I need to
do basic validation of this setup like action CRUD is working or not.
Looking at current test structure I believe it should be possible to
validate that by running the tests under system/basic.

Such a run should just need following config

1. Edge host url and port
2. Auth credentials for some test account
3. OpenWhisk home directory - To enable loading test artifacts

However if I try to run the basic test currently they seem to require some
other properties from whisk.properties. Based on trial and error below is
minimal set of props required

---------
edge.host=172.17.0.1
edge.host.apiport=443
testing.auth=/path/to/openwhisk/ansible/files/auth.guest
openwhisk.home=/path/to/openwhisk

# Props below should be optional
limits.actions.sequence.maxLength=50
whisk.ssl.challenge=openwhisk
whisk.ssl.cert=/path/to/openwhisk/ansible/roles/nginx/files/openwhisk-server-cert.pem
--------

Would it be fine to provide a test target which just work with initial 4
properties? Going further have them passed inline i.e. auth credentials
passed via env instead of first adding them to some file.

Chetan Mehrotra

Re: How to do basic validation of custom OpenWhisk deployment

Posted by Markus Thömmes <ma...@apache.org>.
Huge +1 from my end!

I always thought of the "system.*" suite to cover exactly what you're
looking for, but we've been lax with regards to splitting test-suites and
the properties needed as you're experiencing now. It'd be great to clean
that up and put tests in appropriate packages to be able to run targets
easily (like the one you need here).

Posted by David P Grove <gr...@us.ibm.com>.
huge +1 from the deploy-kube side as well.  A test suite that could run
"externally" to the custom deploy with all properties passed by environment
variables and no need for a whisk.properties file would make it very easy
to define a testing Job that could be run on the cluster both in TravisCI
and in local dev.

--dave

Chetan Mehrotra <ch...@gmail.com> wrote on 09/05/2018 09:39:25
AM: