Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Sam Ruby <ru...@nc.rr.com> on 2001/05/27 23:05:16 UTC

transport/tcp/AxisListener.java

I've finally taken a look at the tcp transport contribution.

What does transport/tcp/AxisListener.java do that
transport/http/SimpleAxisServer.java doesn't do better?

Re: transport/tcp/AxisListener.java

Posted by Rob Jellinghaus <ro...@unrealities.com>.
At 07:45 PM 5/27/2001 -0400, Sam Ruby wrote:
>If TCP was HTTP-MIME, I would be happy.  But you added back in content
>length.  And I presume that you would need something for sessions.  And then
>there is SOAPAction...

Yes, it's an ugly road of reinvention.  I thought I could get away without
any headers at all.  Silly me.

Originally I wanted to be able to interoperate with a rumored (by Glen :-)
TCP .NET binding.  No details emerged on that one though.  There is a TCP
binding for SOAP::Lite but interop with it is a low priority.

>If what you really wanted was a simple, standalone server that you could
>play with, then I totally agree.  Lets just converge on one.

Okey doke, and I'm down with it being SimpleAxisServer.  I was already
planning to create some functional tests with SimpleAxisServer as well (it
should be fairly easy now that the Ant groundwork is laid).

I may not take out the TCP code quite yet but nor will I do anything more
with it.

Cheers,
Rob

Re: transport/tcp/AxisListener.java

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@nc.rr.com>.
Rob Jellinghaus wrote:

> Not much :-)  I didn't realize that SimpleAxisServer existed at the time I
> was doing the transport work.  You're right (you don't say this, but
you're
> thinking it) that we likely could do away with the TCP transport if we
> decided it wasn't worth supporting.
>
> It did enable me to factor out a lot of the transport-specific stuff in
> Call and Message, however, which will pay dividends when implementing SMTP
> (coming soon).  So it was still a worthwhile endeavor.

If TCP was HTTP-MIME, I would be happy.  But you added back in content
length.  And I presume that you would need something for sessions.  And then
there is SOAPAction...

So, if what we end up with is a is a competitor to MIME, then I'm not happy.
Why reinvent?

Posted by Rob Jellinghaus <ro...@unrealities.com>.