Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Olle Raab <ol...@automagika.se> on 2004/11/11 19:19:38 UTC

Building Subversion on Mac OS X

Hello

I am trying to build the client of Subversion-1.0.9 on Mac OS X 10.1.

The build was ok.

When installing, I get the following error (after a lot of things
installed):

[/Nytt/subversion-1.0.9] % sudo make install
subversion/svnversion/svnversion: error:
/Nytt/subversion-1.0.9/subversion/svnversion
/Nytt/subversion-1.0.9/subversion/svnversion/.libs/svnversion does not exist
This script is just a wrapper for svnversion.
See the libtool documentation for more information.
make: *** [revision-install] Error 1

.. but actually the file:

/Nytt/subversion-1.0.9/subversion/svnversion/.libs/svnversion

_do_ exist on my machine.

Nevertheless, I then did try to run Subversion, I get:

[~] % svn
svn: error: cannot set LC_CTYPE locale
svn: error: environment variable LANG is sv_SE
[~] %

Setting LANG to e. g. en_US doesn't help.

Any suggestions ? Should I try another version of svn ?

TIA

Olle Raab

Re: Building Subversion on Mac OS X

Posted by Olle Raab <ol...@automagika.se>.
04-11-11 23.19, skrev Jack Repenning följande:

> On Nov 11, 2004, at 11:19 AM, Olle Raab wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> I am trying to build the client of Subversion-1.0.9 on Mac OS X 10.1.
>>
>> The build was ok.
>
> I think the two errors you mention here are not related to each other.
>
>> When installing, I get the following error (after a lot of things
>> installed):
>>
>> [/Nytt/subversion-1.0.9] % sudo make install
>> subversion/svnversion/svnversion: error:
>> /Nytt/subversion-1.0.9/subversion/svnversion
>> /Nytt/subversion-1.0.9/subversion/svnversion/.libs/svnversion does not
>> exist
>> This script is just a wrapper for svnversion.
>> See the libtool documentation for more information.
>> make: *** [revision-install] Error 1
>>
>> .. but actually the file:
>>
>> /Nytt/subversion-1.0.9/subversion/svnversion/.libs/svnversion
>>
>> _do_ exist on my machine.
>
> Since you sudid the install test, maybe root doesn't have execute
> access to some directory in that path?  This can happen if you're
> reaching over NFS.  Try "sudo ls -la
> /Nytt/subversion-1.0.9/subversion/svnversion/.libs", see if it can read
> it.  If not, check perms on all those directories.

It can read it.

>> Nevertheless, I then did try to run Subversion, I get:
>>
>> [~] % svn
>> svn: error: cannot set LC_CTYPE locale
>> svn: error: environment variable LANG is sv_SE
>> [~] %
>>
>> Setting LANG to e. g. en_US doesn't help.
>
> unset LANG

Then I get this:

[~] % svn
svn: error: cannot set LC_CTYPE locale
svn: error: environment variable LANG is not set
[~] %

> I don't know why this is happening, happens to me, too.

Anyway thanks for the answer.

Olle

Re: Building Subversion on Mac OS X

Posted by Jack Repenning <jr...@collab.net>.
On Nov 11, 2004, at 11:19 AM, Olle Raab wrote:

> Hello
>
> I am trying to build the client of Subversion-1.0.9 on Mac OS X 10.1.
>
> The build was ok.

I think the two errors you mention here are not related to each other.

> When installing, I get the following error (after a lot of things
> installed):
>
> [/Nytt/subversion-1.0.9] % sudo make install
> subversion/svnversion/svnversion: error:
> /Nytt/subversion-1.0.9/subversion/svnversion
> /Nytt/subversion-1.0.9/subversion/svnversion/.libs/svnversion does not
> exist
> This script is just a wrapper for svnversion.
> See the libtool documentation for more information.
> make: *** [revision-install] Error 1
>
> .. but actually the file:
>
> /Nytt/subversion-1.0.9/subversion/svnversion/.libs/svnversion
>
> _do_ exist on my machine.

Since you sudid the install test, maybe root doesn't have execute
access to some directory in that path?  This can happen if you're
reaching over NFS.  Try "sudo ls -la
/Nytt/subversion-1.0.9/subversion/svnversion/.libs", see if it can read
it.  If not, check perms on all those directories.

> Nevertheless, I then did try to run Subversion, I get:
>
> [~] % svn
> svn: error: cannot set LC_CTYPE locale
> svn: error: environment variable LANG is sv_SE
> [~] %
>
> Setting LANG to e. g. en_US doesn't help.

unset LANG

I don't know why this is happening, happens to me, too.

-==-
Jack Repenning
CollabNet, Inc.
8000 Marina Boulevard, Suite 600