Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by QM <qm...@brandxdev.net> on 2004/02/01 17:30:58 UTC

Re: context configuration file being overwritten

: (I'm trying to place as little
: as possible in the tomcat directory structure, to ease upgrade issues
: and such.)

Always a good idea.

Search the Tomcat website for "instance" or "CATALINA_HOME and
CATALINA_BASE."  (I don't have the exact URL on me.)  Using these latter
two environment variables, you can setup a sort of mini-Tomcat that has its
own conf/ and webapps/ dirs, but refers to the main Tomcat install for the
server's jar files.

Combine that with a symlink to the main Tomcat dir (e.g. tomcat ->
tomcat-5.0.18) and upgrades within the same major version are a snap.

ymmv but this works quite well for me.

-QM