Posted to users@ws.apache.org by Richard Vanek <ri...@piskoftak.sk> on 2003/03/12 17:13:48 UTC

Re: xml-rpc /htts /proxy - problem

Hello all,

maybe few of you remember my message from about half year ago. I again find
a need to solve this which I didn't finished before as I was busy with
other things. So problem was that I can't make connection to mus xml-rpc
server throught proxy using https. You can find all messages with the same
subject in archive of mailing list. Thank you in advance for you help!

Here is the last message from me and more after this quote:

On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 09:27:12AM +0100, Richard Vanek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 09:05:15AM +0100, Rupp,Heiko wrote:
> >
> > Do you have access to the proxy and can somehow trace what
> > is going on?
>
> Unfortunately not, but I can do some net sniffering. I let you know. Here
> is the exception I am getting when go through proxy.
>
> java.io.IOException: Unable to tunnel through proxy. Proxy returns
> "HTTP/1.0 400 Bad Request"
>         at org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcClient$Worker.execute(XmlRpcClient.java)
>         at org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcClient.execute(XmlRpcClient.java)
>         at UpdWebPhoto.main(UpdWebPhoto.java:67)

I did ether sniff first with simple program which request same page
throught proxy using https and basic authentication and than using xml-rpc
jar.
In first case i observe following behaviour and correctly optained xml file
indicating error as I do not submit any method.

CONNECT piskoftak.sk:443 HTTP/1.1
Host: piskoftak.sk:443
Accept: text/html, image/gif, image/jpeg, *; q=.2, */*; q=.2

HTTP/1.1 200 Connection established
Proxy-agent: BlueCoat-Security-Appliance

After this there is some handshaking with certificate and than next request
from client comes:

CONNECT piskoftak.sk:443 HTTP/1.1
GET /edit/.photo-update.php HTTP/1.1
Host: piskoftak.sk:443
Accept: text/html, image/gif, image/jpeg, *; q=.2, */*; q=.2
Connection: keep-alive
Authorization: Basic xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

HTTP/1.1 200 Connection established
Proxy-agent: BlueCoat-Security-Appliance

After this my program just dump xml file indicating error that mehtod
(empty) was not found whic is correct.

In a case when I am using xmlrpc to connect and request call on the same
url this is what happen:

first request from my program which never get reply:
CONNECT piskoftak.sk:443 HTTP/1.1
Host: piskoftak.sk:443
Accept: text/html, image/gif, image/jpeg, *; q=.2, */*; q=.2

and than second request which is not-correct and that one get error reply
whic is also reson for exception and program exit:

Host: piskoftak.sk:443
Accept: text/html, image/gif, image/jpeg, *; q=.2, */*; q=.2

HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request
Cache-Control: no-cache
Pragma: no-cache
Connection: close

--

-richo-

Re: xml-rpc /htts /proxy - problem

Posted by Richard Vanek <ri...@piskoftak.sk>.
Dear friends,

I have found a problem which do not allows to use https throught proxy when
doing xml-rpc request. When I commented out lines which are  setting Content-Length
everything is working fine. These are lines in XmlRpcClient.java 424-425 in
version 1.2b1 of xml-rpc.

Maybe somebody could have explanation, I don't. It works now. I am using JDK
1.4.1_01.

--

-richo-