Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Tomas Jacobsson <to...@su.eip.ericsson.se> on 2001/11/05 09:40:15 UTC

Broadcast messages over Soap

Hello!
I want to broadcast messages over Soap, I know that this usually means
that I must have a request-reply protocol and that http don't really
support this. But there must be a way to walk around this problem. One
idea is that you at every client have a soap server, but that is not a
convient way to solve this for me.
Another should be that after the client have made its call to the server
it stays up with the connection so that the server later can "push" out
messages to the clients, like that you have http connections that stays
up forever.
Or what is the best way to broadcast messages with Soap, any idea?
Somebody that have succesfully broadcasted messages over Soap?
Regards

Tomas

Multipart response in Soap

Posted by Tomas Jacobsson <to...@su.eip.ericsson.se>.
Hello!
I am having a question on how to keep a Http connection there forever in
Soap. Like a send a multipart get message and the server sends back answers
to me when it updates something. Like it get some thing from another and the
server pushes that on to me. So that I want is a Soap/Http connection that
stays up forever.
Anybody that knows how to do this?
Regards

Tomas

Multipart response in Soap

Re: Broadcast messages over Soap

Posted by William Brogden <wb...@bga.com>.

Tomas Jacobsson wrote:

> Hello!
> I want to broadcast messages over Soap, I know that this usually means
> that I must have a request-reply protocol and that http don't really
> support this. But there must be a way to walk around this problem. One
> idea is that you at every client have a soap server, but that is not a
> convient way to solve this for me.
> Another should be that after the client have made its call to the server
> it stays up with the connection so that the server later can "push" out
> messages to the clients, like that you have http connections that stays
> up forever.
> Or what is the best way to broadcast messages with Soap, any idea?
> Somebody that have succesfully broadcasted messages over Soap?
> Regards
>
> Tomas

I just experimented with several methods in connection with my current
book project. There are several possibilities:

Java Message Service  - see the publish/subscribe examples
JavaSpaces - a really cool technology
email - You can mail to a mailing list - your subscribers need to have
  mail accounts set aside for the SOAP messages.

--
WBB - wbrogden@lanw.com
Java Cert mock exams http://www.lanw.com/java/javacert/

Re: Broadcast messages over Soap

Posted by Simon Fell <so...@zaks.demon.co.uk>.
On Mon, 05 Nov 2001 09:40:15 +0100, in soap you wrote:

>Hello!
>I want to broadcast messages over Soap, I know that this usually means
>that I must have a request-reply protocol and that http don't really
>support this. But there must be a way to walk around this problem. One
>idea is that you at every client have a soap server, but that is not a
>convient way to solve this for me.
>Another should be that after the client have made its call to the server
>it stays up with the connection so that the server later can "push" out
>messages to the clients, like that you have http connections that stays
>up forever.
>Or what is the best way to broadcast messages with Soap, any idea?
>Somebody that have succesfully broadcasted messages over Soap?
>Regards
>
>Tomas

I'd be tempted to switch to a transport that supports your
requirements better than http. You should be able to easily do what
you want by running SOAP over Jabber, SMTP or UDP.

Cheers
Simon

Re: Broadcast messages over Soap

Posted by William Brogden <wb...@bga.com>.