Posted to bridges-dev@portals.apache.org by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu> on 2010/04/09 09:55:53 UTC

Re: edit_defaults

On 04/09/2010 01:13 AM, David Sean Taylor wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Ate Douma<at...@douma.nu>  wrote:
>> On 04/08/2010 06:17 AM, David Sean Taylor wrote:
>>>
>>> A minor complication to any portlets using the Velocity Bridge with
>>> the edit_defaults auto switch, seems we need to patch the bridge in
>>> GenericVelocityPortlet.java
>>> And require another release of this bridge if we want to properly
>>> support edit_defaults auto switch .....
>>
>> Maybe we should consider upgrading bridges also to use portals-pom and
>> release using Nexus.
>> If we combine that will separated and independent release versions for each
>> bridges component like we now do with APA, e.g. start defining versions like
>> bridges-common-1.0.5, bridges-velocity-1.0.5 etc. in APA JIRA, and have them
>> all have their separate svn trunk/branches/tags folder, we could turn out a
>> bridges-velocity-1.0.5 (and at least bridges-common-1.0.5 for proper Maven-2
>> dependency resolution) pretty quickly.
>> Doing the ground work starting with only bridges-common and bridges-velocity
>> probably can be done in matter of hours.
>> WDYT?
>>
> +1 on velocity and common bridges
OK.
Assuming lazy consensus on this for now then I'll start on this right away.

Actually I already did some preliminary work locally and got things converted and working within half an hour :)
The restructuring of svn itself probably will take most of the time.
As I think these new bridges versions should all assume portlet 2.0 runtime environments, we better bump their major version to indicate
this, e.g. bridges-common-2.0 and bridges-velocity-2.0

I plan to do the following:
- create a PB JIRA issue for all this
- create new PB JIRA versions bridges-pom-1.0, bridges-common-2.0, bridges-velocity-2.0 and bridges-site as a start
- create a new portals svn site subproject for bridges and (start) moving the little bridges xdocs we have over (maven-2, no multiproject)
- create new svn /bridges-pom, /bridges-common and /bridges-velocity project trees with their own trunk/branches/tags folders
- create a new bridges-pom:1.0:pom project
- move current bridges/trunk /common/* under /bridges-common/trunk and /velocity/* under bridges-velocity/trunk,
- for commons and velocity, remove their maven-1 configurations *and* their xdocs and update their maven-2 pom.xml
- adjust the current bridges/trunk maven-1 and maven-2 projects to accomodate for these components been moved out

All in all, this should take a few hours the most and allow us to release new bridges-pom, bridges-common and bridges-velocity shortly.
Other bridges which qualify for updating and subsequent 2.x releases like maybe struts and groovy can follow later on.

Regards,

Ate

Re: edit_defaults

Posted by David Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 4:38 PM, Woonsan Ko <wo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Ate/All,

sounds good, its either that or creating a jruby and jython bridges
separately, im fine with your proposal

Re: edit_defaults

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
On 04/19/2010 05:07 PM, Woonsan Ko wrote:

> [...]
Yes, that would be a good solution too, I didn't think of that!
Great, I'm +1 on using that solution.

Ate

Re: edit_defaults

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@yahoo.com>.

Re: edit_defaults

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
On 04/19/2010 04:38 PM, Woonsan Ko wrote:
> Hi Ate/All,

I think that could make sense from a *bridge* development/maintenance POV.

Re: edit_defaults

Posted by David Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

Re: edit_defaults

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Ate/All,

> GenericVelocityPortlet almost like what you proposed earlier on this email (and
> which was the
trigger for all this), see:
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PB-103

I'm leaving the root JIRA
> issue for this, http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PB-98, open for now as
> there still remains work to be done on
especially the bridges-site (only the
> groundwork has been done so far) and pending possible migration of other bridges
> like maybe the groovy
and struts

Re: edit_defaults

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Ate/All,

> GenericVelocityPortlet almost like what you proposed earlier on this email (and
> which was the
trigger for all this), see:
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PB-103

I'm leaving the root JIRA
> issue for this, http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PB-98, open for now as
> there still remains work to be done on
especially the bridges-site (only the
> groundwork has been done so far) and pending possible migration of other bridges
> like maybe the groovy
and struts

Re: edit_defaults

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
On 04/09/2010 09:55 AM, Ate Douma wrote:
> On 04/09/2010 01:13 AM, David Sean Taylor wrote:

>>> Maybe we should consider upgrading bridges also to use portals-pom and
>>> release using Nexus.
>>> If we combine that will separated and independent release versions
>>> for each
>>> bridges component like we now do with APA, e.g. start defining
>>> versions like
>>> bridges-common-1.0.5, bridges-velocity-1.0.5 etc. in APA JIRA, and
>>> have them
>>> all have their separate svn trunk/branches/tags folder, we could turn
>>> out a
>>> bridges-velocity-1.0.5 (and at least bridges-common-1.0.5 for proper
>>> Maven-2
>>> dependency resolution) pretty quickly.
>>> Doing the ground work starting with only bridges-common and
>>> bridges-velocity
>>> probably can be done in matter of hours.
>>> WDYT?
>>>
>> +1 on velocity and common bridges
> OK.
> Assuming lazy consensus on this for now then I'll start on this right away.
>
> Actually I already did some preliminary work locally and got things
> converted and working within half an hour :)
> The restructuring of svn itself probably will take most of the time.
> As I think these new bridges versions should all assume portlet 2.0
> runtime environments, we better bump their major version to indicate
> this, e.g. bridges-common-2.0 and bridges-velocity-2.0
>
> I plan to do the following:
> - create a PB JIRA issue for all this
> - create new PB JIRA versions bridges-pom-1.0, bridges-common-2.0,
> bridges-velocity-2.0 and bridges-site as a start
> - create a new portals svn site subproject for bridges and (start)
> moving the little bridges xdocs we have over (maven-2, no multiproject)
> - create new svn /bridges-pom, /bridges-common and /bridges-velocity
> project trees with their own trunk/branches/tags folders
> - create a new bridges-pom:1.0:pom project
> - move current bridges/trunk /common/* under /bridges-common/trunk and
> /velocity/* under bridges-velocity/trunk,
> - for commons and velocity, remove their maven-1 configurations *and*
> their xdocs and update their maven-2 pom.xml
> - adjust the current bridges/trunk maven-1 and maven-2 projects to
> accomodate for these components been moved out
>
> All in all, this should take a few hours the most and allow us to
> release new bridges-pom, bridges-common and bridges-velocity shortly.
> Other bridges which qualify for updating and subsequent 2.x releases
> like maybe struts and groovy can follow later on.

I've completed most of the work now.
bridges-pom:1.0-SNAPSHOT:pom, portals-bridges-common:2.0-SNAPSHOT:jar and portals-bridges-velocity:2.0-SNAPSHOT:jar projects are now
available and already setup to build automatically on Hudson.
As soon as these initial Hudson builds are completed (pending), we can start upgrading our current bridges-common and bridges-velocity
dependencies in APA, J2-admin and Jetspeed itself.

Re: edit_defaults

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@yahoo.com>.
+1 on your plan. Cool!

Woonsan

> [...]

- create new svn /bridges-pom, /bridges-common and
> /bridges-velocity project trees with their own trunk/branches/tags folders
-
> create a new bridges-pom:1.0:pom project
- move current bridges/trunk
> /common/* under /bridges-common/trunk and /velocity/* under
> bridges-velocity/trunk,
- for commons and velocity, remove their maven-1
> configurations *and* their xdocs and update their maven-2 pom.xml
- adjust
> the current bridges/trunk maven-1 and maven-2 projects to accomodate for these
> components been moved out

All in all, this should take a few hours the
> most and allow us to release new bridges-pom, bridges-common and
> bridges-velocity shortly.
Other bridges which qualify for updating and
> subsequent 2.x releases like maybe struts and groovy can follow later

Regards,

Ate

Re: edit_defaults

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@yahoo.com>.
+1 on your plan. Cool!

Woonsan

> [...]

- create new svn /bridges-pom, /bridges-common and
> /bridges-velocity project trees with their own trunk/branches/tags folders
-
> create a new bridges-pom:1.0:pom project
- move current bridges/trunk
> /common/* under /bridges-common/trunk and /velocity/* under
> bridges-velocity/trunk,
- for commons and velocity, remove their maven-1
> configurations *and* their xdocs and update their maven-2 pom.xml
- adjust
> the current bridges/trunk maven-1 and maven-2 projects to accomodate for these
> components been moved out

All in all, this should take a few hours the
> most and allow us to release new bridges-pom, bridges-common and
> bridges-velocity shortly.
Other bridges which qualify for updating and
> subsequent 2.x releases like maybe struts and groovy can follow later

Regards,

Ate

Re: edit_defaults

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.