Posted to users@directory.apache.org by Juergen Weber <we...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/21 21:39:39 UTC

Submit button in Directory Studio

Hi,

I love Apache Directory Studio, it's really a showcase for Java and RCP.

Of course, there is one thing I don't like: all changes are
immediately written through to the server if you leave a text field.

I'd rather have a submit button, I simply feel better if I can review
what I have typed, especially if I edit several attributes at the same
time.

Of course, it should be configurable to have a submit button or not.

Thanks very much for the great software,
Juergen

Re: Submit button in Directory Studio

Posted by Juergen Weber <we...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for considering my suggestion.
I opened DIRSTUDIO-268.

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Stefan Seelmann wrote:
> One more use case we need such a functionality is when changing the
> objectclass of an entry and the new objectclass has additional required
> attributes.
>
> I have two ideas how to implement it:
>
> 1) a pause + a submit/commit + a rollback button. While paused all
> changes are recorded and on submit they are submitted to the directory
>
> 2) a pop-up dialog like the "New Entry" wizard.

I would like to propose a third idea, quite more complex but also really
powerfull. We discussed it many times with Pierre-Arnaud and Alex two
years ago, but it never get done.

What about embedding ADS into Studio? It will bring many advantages :
- direct access to the schema
- as we have some rollback interceptor in ADS, implementing a rollback
mechanism will be trivial
- you will be able to experiment on real data the impact of some schema
modification, before injecting the schema to the production server
- you can synchronize with more than one server as soon as ADS has some
replication mechanism whih can be used to update remote server
- everything you modify will be done offline until you inject the
changed elements to the production server
- last, ,ot least, you won't lose any modification, as it's local and
written on disk.

It should not be so complex to implement, IMO.

wdyt ?
> Kind Regards,
> Stefan

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: Submit button in Directory Studio

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org>.
Hi Juergen,

Emmanuel Lecharny schrieb:
> Juergen Weber wrote:
>> I'd rather have a submit button, I simply feel better if I can review
>> what I have typed, especially if I edit several attributes at the same
>> time.
>>
> This is one of the most interesting idea ever ! Can you create a JIRA
> for it so that it does not get buried under the hundreds of mail we
> receive every week ?

Yes Juergen, please create a JIRA.

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Juergen Weber wrote: