Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Adrien Grand <jp...@gmail.com> on 2017/12/06 13:25:10 UTC

Heads up: Lucene 8 to require positive scores

Hello,

I just merged a change to the Scorer contract: Scorer.score() must now
return a positive float, see
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-7996.

As a side effect, negative boosts are now disallowed.

Since FunctionScoreQuery and FunctionQuery can't ensure that the value
source only produces positive values, they return 0 when a negative value
is produced.

This might look like an annoying constraint, but this new requirement is
going to help build new features and optimizations, in particular
LUCENE-4100, which helps get great speedups for top-k queries sorted by
score.

Re: Heads up: Lucene 8 to require positive scores

Posted by Adrien Grand <jp...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for having a look Hoss, I added a new CHANGES entry under "Changes
in Runtime Behavior" (in addition to "API Changes") and added an upgrade
note in the solr changelog:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=lucene-solr.git;h=f525ce8.