Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Gabriele Di Bernardo <ga...@me.com> on 2017/08/18 15:21:55 UTC

Kafka 0.11

Hi guys,

Is the Flink Connector Kafka 0.10 fully compatible with Kafka 0.11?

Thank you in advance.

Best,

Gabriele

Re: Kafka 0.11

Posted by "m@xi" <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thanks a lot Ted!

I will look into it! If someone else could elaborate on the other bullets it
would be great.

Best,
Max

Re: Kafka 0.11

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
For #4, there was past thread:

http://search-hadoop.com/m/Flink/VkLeQPK4Ek2dYiZS1?subj=Re+Flink+on+Azure+HDInsight

You can find related information on Azure Table in:

docs/dev/batch/connectors.md

FYI

Re: Kafka 0.11

Re: Kafka 0.11

Posted by TechnoMage <ml...@technomage.com>.
The different versions of the connector correspond to different versions of Kafka.  If you are using Kafka 0.8 use 0.8 connector, etc.  Versions of the connector after 0.10 support exactly once delivery, versions prior to that only offer at least once delivery.

Kafka supports distributed processing through deployment of multiple brokers.  Each topic can be divided into partitions and those allocated to brokers to get distributed processing on a cluster.  I have not used its stream processing API yet, but I assume it runs within the brokers working on partitions of a topic.

Cluster deployment for Flink and Kafka can be as a stand alone cluster (manual deployment to a bunch of machines, via custom built AMI, etc), or through a cluster manager like Mesos, Yarn, Kubernetes which will manage the work performed on the machines in a cluster.  I have not seen any good tutorials on multi-machine deployments, there are a few suggesting how to do so with kubernetes for Flink only, but none I have found for flink+kafka.  For my proof of concept it was just easier to manually build out 4 machines.  The install for kafka and flink are simple and getting java and maven on a base ubuntu image on AWS is quick, so I can manually build out a machine in about 5 minutes.

Michael

Re: Kafka 0.11

Re: Kafka 0.11

Posted by Piotr Nowojski <pi...@data-artisans.com>.
Hi,

Yes, Flink Connector for Kafka 0.10 should work without problems with Kafka 0.11.

There is also a pending work for a Kafka 0.11 connector that will add support for exactly-once semantic.

Piotrek