Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Michael Mior <mm...@uwaterloo.ca> on 2016/05/23 13:44:48 UTC

Big Data Open Source Systems (BOSS) 2016

Hi all,

I just became aware of a workshop that will be colocated with the Very
Large Data Bases (VLDB) conference in New Dehli this September. For anyone
not familiar, VLDB is very highly recognized conference in the database
research community. They are looking for tutorials on open source systems
and there seems to be a special interest in polyglot systems.

This would be a great venue to introduce Calcite to the academic community.
Unfortunately, the deadline for submissions is June 1 which is next
Wednesday. That said, preparing a proposal doesn't seem too arduous and if
there's anyone from the community able to attend I think it could be very
worthwhile.

http://boss.dima.tu-berlin.de/

Cheers,
--
Michael Mior
michael.mior@gmail.com

Re: Big Data Open Source Systems (BOSS) 2016

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
Great idea, Michael.

If anyone from the community is able to attend and give a talk, that would be great. I’ll help you write a proposal if that is the only thing stopping you! At Hadoop Summit, Dublin, I gave a talk "Planning with Polyalgebra: Bringing together relational, complex and machine learning algebra” [1] which is directly relevant to polyglot systems.

I would also like to encourage everyone involved in Calcite to represent the project whenever they have a chance: give talks at conferences, meet ups, and bar camps. Don’t worry if you are not a committer or PMC member… you definitely you know enough about Calcite to give a talk. It will bring the project to a wider audience, and will help build your own career and standing within the Apache community.

Julian

[1] https://calcite.apache.org/community/#planning-with-polyalgebra-bringing-together-relational-complex-and-machine-learning-algebra <https://calcite.apache.org/community/#planning-with-polyalgebra-bringing-together-relational-complex-and-machine-learning-algebra>