Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com> on 2004/09/30 02:18:36 UTC

Re: apr_sockaddr_info_get() produces syslog messages on AIX

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 14:55:40 -0700, Bennett, Tony - CNF
<be...@cnf.com> wrote:
> Note: I posted a similar question on comp.unix.aix
>
> Platform: Aix 5.1
>
> We are using Apache 2.0.42.  We have written a module
> which calls apr_sockaddr_info_get() which, in turn,
> performs a getaddrinfo() call.
>
> Every call by Apache to getaddrinfo() generates the following
> syslog message:
>     "The user option is different from the address family passed into
> the API."

that string appears in /usr/lib/libc.a several times

> Here are the arguments passed by apr_sockaddr_info_get() to
> getaddrinfo():

looks reasonable

>   hostname:   "my.fullyqualified.host.com"
>   servername: NULL

hmm, I thought we would make sure that servername points to something
on AIX to work around some bogosity

> My questions are:
>     - Why is this happening...?
>     - What can I do to stop it..?

create a 15-20 line standalone program which calls getaddrinfo() in
the same manner and exhibits the behavior, and call IBM support and
get them to tell you what has to change (patch libc, change program,
whatever) to make getaddrinfo keep quiet when you run your program

Re: apr_sockaddr_info_get() produces syslog messages on AIX

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 20:18:36 -0400, Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 14:55:40 -0700, Bennett, Tony - CNF
> <be...@cnf.com> wrote:
> > Note: I posted a similar question on comp.unix.aix
> >
> > Platform: Aix 5.1
> >
> > We are using Apache 2.0.42.  We have written a module
> > which calls apr_sockaddr_info_get() which, in turn,
> > performs a getaddrinfo() call.
> >
> > Every call by Apache to getaddrinfo() generates the following
> > syslog message:
> >     "The user option is different from the address family passed into
> > the API."
>
> that string appears in /usr/lib/libc.a several times
>

> > Here are the arguments passed by apr_sockaddr_info_get() to
> > getaddrinfo():
>
> looks reasonable
>
> >   hostname:   "my.fullyqualified.host.com"
> >   servername: NULL
>
> hmm, I thought we would make sure that servername points to something
> on AIX to work around some bogosity
>
> > My questions are:
> >     - Why is this happening...?
> >     - What can I do to stop it..?
>
> create a 15-20 line standalone program which calls getaddrinfo() in
> the same manner and exhibits the behavior, and call IBM support and
> get them to tell you what has to change (patch libc, change program,
> whatever) to make getaddrinfo keep quiet when you run your program

if you want, send the simple test program to me and I'll try it on my
maintenance level of 5.1 first...

]$ lslpp -l bos.rte.libc
  Fileset                      Level  State      Description
  bos.rte.libc              5.1.0.59  COMMITTED  libc Library

The resolver stuff can behave differently based on the configuration
(files, dns, other).  It would be good to know what nsswitch.conf or
NSORDER setting is required to encounter the issue on your box.