Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk> on 2002/12/29 12:30:46 UTC

New Live Site

Dear All,

We release the new http://www.iniva.org site today, re-built from the
ground up.

I just went in to switch the DNS for www.iniva.org to a temporary
server while we fix up the new one (late next week). It will be a
couple of days before the new IP migrates through, so if you are
interested in a sneak preview, go to http://217.169.16.80 (temporary!!).

The new inIVA site is running from TomCat + Cocoon 2.1 + MySQL, in
HTML4 + CSS2 + WAI, no tables in the whole site!!! ;)

It is currently ≈ 2000 pages, it will grow to ≈ 10000 as the Library
relationships improve over the coming month.

I would like to thank all of you here for your help and support during
this project, I could not have done it without you ;)

It took ≈ 2 weeks of the project to convince the client to use Cocoon,
we must have saved at least that amount of time, by making that
decision, Cocoon has been superb!

I personally have about another month left on the project, thereafter I
am on the lookout for my next one ;)

Thanks again!

regards Jeremy

Re: New Live Site

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk>.
On Monday, Dec 30, 2002, at 09:19 Europe/London, Bernhard Huber wrote:

> hi,
> nice site,
> FYI,
> remember a bug in lucene entering search string "x:" makes
> org.apache.lucene.queryParser throwing an exception.
>
> http://217.169.16.80/search/index?query=x%3A&Search=search&region=all

Thanks Bernhard ;)

Yep, I still need to do a pretty error page, and catch some typical
mistakes ....

I did not know about that one though ...

Unfortunately, I see quite a few exceptions from Lucene, especially the
random one I mentioned before, 'Bad file descriptor'.

Thanks for your feedback

regards Jeremy

Re: New Live Site

Re: New Live Site

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk>.
On Monday, Dec 30, 2002, at 04:15 Europe/London, Stefano Mazzocchi
wrote:

> Jeremy Quinn wrote:

<snip/>

>> I would like to thank all of you here for your help and support
>> during this project, I could not have done it without you ;)

> Uh, cool.
>
> Finally a URL space built to last!!!!

As you probably realised, it is a clone of their old site (layout,
content and url space) so this stuff was already largely determined, I
did persuade them to drop the suffix though, thank goodness!

> One *nice* way to pay us back would be an article describing the
> process, your experiences and suggestions for people that might want
> to use Cocoon for similar projects

I agree, that would be a very nice thing to do, let's see if I can make
the time ... hope so ...

I made a very small start here: http://www.iniva.org/general/info_site

> (and believe me, there are tons of them waiting to have more info on
> why/where/how to switch from their homemade PHP solution to a nicer
> architecture that doesn't lock them in like a nasty and expensive
> proprietary CMS)

Should I name names? OOHH! =:-O
The client had spent a FORTUNE on Roxen Platform before they took me
on, what a mess!!! Even they admitted in the end they had 'mis-sold'
the product .... it is a very very very nasty piece of work! We had a
joke about it ... buying that product was like being mugged by a horde
of Vikings! ;) (No offence to other Scandinavians intended). On paper
it looked great, XML, XSLT etc ... in practise they had their own
proprietary implementations .... for instance they made xsl:variable(s)
Variable! They could not understand why the XSLT language was as it is
specified .... stateless .... they developed their own 'logic language'
for the platform, they called their first version v7.0, because it
sounded better than v0.7 (unbelievable but TRUE !!!!). But worst of
all, they had no COMMUNITY!

> But that's just a suggestion of course :-)

Of course Stefano, I would not take it any other way ;)

regards Jeremy

Re: New Live Site

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Jeremy Quinn wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> We release the new http://www.iniva.org site today, re-built from the
> ground up.
>
> I just went in to switch the DNS for www.iniva.org to a temporary server
> while we fix up the new one (late next week). It will be a couple of
> days before the new IP migrates through, so if you are interested in a
> sneak preview, go to http://217.169.16.80 (temporary!!).
>
> The new inIVA site is running from TomCat + Cocoon 2.1 + MySQL, in HTML4
> + CSS2 + WAI, no tables in the whole site!!! ;)
>
> It is currently ≈ 2000 pages, it will grow to ≈ 10000 as the Library
> relationships improve over the coming month.
>
> I would like to thank all of you here for your help and support during
> this project, I could not have done it without you ;)
>
> It took ≈ 2 weeks of the project to convince the client to use Cocoon,
> we must have saved at least that amount of time, by making that
> decision, Cocoon has been superb!
>
> I personally have about another month left on the project, thereafter I
> am on the lookout for my next one ;)

Uh, cool.

Finally a URL space built to last!!!!

One *nice* way to pay us back would be an article describing the
process, your experiences and suggestions for people that might want to
use Cocoon for similar projects (and believe me, there are tons of them

--
Stefano Mazzocchi                               <st...@apache.org>