Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by Ron Tsoref <ch...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/19 14:52:15 UTC

"Real-time" bandwidth stats

About half an year ago I looked for a solution to calculate the current
bandwidth served at any given time. I thought of using the logs to get this
information, but log lines are written only after a complete object was
served.  In the mailing list thread I opened back then, Conan posted a
plugin he wrote that show the bytes served for each host via a HTTP
interface and suggested me to take a look at it.

The problem is that the bytes served for each host are increased only after
a complete object is served, just like what I can do with the log-analyzing
solution.

This situation is causing spikes and bounces when analyzing the data from
this plugin in small intervals.

(The plugin is available in JIRA in
TS-1596<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TS-1596%E2%80%8E>and on
Github <https://github.com/wkl/channel_stats>.)

My question is whether there's any way to solve this so that counters would
be updated regularly and not only when completing the file download.

Also, on another note, is there any known issues in the "*read-while-write*"
option?  It seems not to work. I'm downloading a large file via a number of
different requests and only after the first request is completed, the
others are served too.

Thanks,
Ron

Re: Is there a way to get stats for top connecting clients and top requested target?

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
On 7/24/13 2:29 PM, Eddie wrote:
> Thank you very much, James.
>
> Do you have any idea how to get support and how much it may cost?

Support for ATS ? See e.g. http://trafficserver.apache.org/assistance.html

-- Leif

Re: Is there a way to get stats for top connecting clients and top requested target?

Posted by Eddie <zt...@yahoo.com>.
Thank you very much, James.

Do you have any idea how to get support and how much it may cost?

________________________________
> I am running URL redirect. I am trying to get stats for top connecting clients and top requested target without going through the log?

traffic_logstats does some of this. Not sure whether it can give you the top clients.

Re: Is there a way to get stats for top connecting clients and top requested target?

Posted by James Peach <jp...@apache.org>.

Posted by Eddie <zt...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Guys,

I am running URL redirect. I am trying to get stats for top connecting clients and top requested target without going through the log?
I am new to ATS ...

Thanks

Eddie

Re: "Real-time" bandwidth stats

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
On 7/19/13 10:52 AM, Ron Tsoref wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong but these options only show the stats
> regarding the whole node, not per host...
>
> What I'm trying to get is a /per-host/remap rule /"real-time"
> bandwidth stats.
> The plugin does aggregate bytes stats well, but it doesn't do that in
> real-time. It seems that any solution to get this stats is going
> through the log analyzing, but that solution is not accurate at all.

I don't know of any plugins that does this, but sounds pretty doable
piggy backing on a "NULL transform" plugin, which simply counts bytes
and updates metrics after every buffer processed. Somewhat costly, but
if it's what you need, it's what you need :).

-- Leif

Re: "Real-time" bandwidth stats

Posted by Ron Tsoref <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Harrison <ma...@omniti.com>.