Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com> on 2019/03/29 06:40:12 UTC

[DISCUSS] WIP PRs and contribution transparency

All,

I want to explore a way to be more transparent with the community on PRs especially new features that we're working on (my colleagues and me at ShapeBlue), however, like every organization, we have our internal processes around development, testing, review and internal validation before a PR is good enough to be merged/included in CloudStack. In the past, we've had a few situations when an upstream PR sent without a WIP in the title/description or a Work-In-Progress label but it was merged since all the smoketests passed OK and it has 2 LGTMs from the community members. In all such cases, another PR was sent top rectify it but that incurred some overhead in time and energy.

In order to be more transparent, I would like to propose that we put something like ' [WIP DO NOT MERGE]' in the PR title as my colleagues and I have done on some new PRs you can follow. Labels cannot be used as not every contributor is a committer. Once the PR is ready for merging, we can remove it.

This would allow the community:

(a) to be aware that the PR is in progress and should not be merged even if it gets all smoketests pass and have at least 2 LGTMs.

(b) presents an opportunity for early conversations, engagements.

(c) avoid duplicate efforts towards features, bugfixes, and blockers and encourage joining forces towards a common feature/goal!

I think it would be great if more people can join us in this direction.

Thoughts, concerns? Thanks.

Regards,

Rohit Yadav

Software Architect, ShapeBlue

https://www.shapeblue.com

rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com
@shapeblue

Re: [DISCUSS] WIP PRs and contribution transparency

Posted by Sven Vogel <S....@ewerk.com>.
Hi Rohit,

We see like the same. Our team will do it. LGTM :)

Sven

__

Sven Vogel
Teamlead Platform

EWERK RZ GmbH
Brühl 24, D-04109 Leipzig
P +49 341 42649 - 11
F +49 341 42649 - 18
S.Vogel@ewerk.com
www.ewerk.com

Geschäftsführer:
Dr. Erik Wende, Hendrik Schubert, Frank Richter, Gerhard Hoyer
Registergericht: Leipzig HRB 17023

Zertifiziert nach:
ISO/IEC 27001:2013
DIN EN ISO 9001:2015
DIN ISO/IEC 20000-1:2011

EWERK-Blog | LinkedIn | Xing | Twitter | Facebook

Auskünfte und Angebote per Mail sind freibleibend und unverbindlich.

Disclaimer Privacy:
Der Inhalt dieser E-Mail (einschließlich etwaiger beigefügter Dateien) ist vertraulich und nur für den Empfänger bestimmt. Sollten Sie nicht der bestimmungsgemäße Empfänger sein, ist Ihnen jegliche Offenlegung, Vervielfältigung, Weitergabe oder Nutzung des Inhalts untersagt. Bitte informieren Sie in diesem Fall unverzüglich den Absender und löschen Sie die E-Mail (einschließlich etwaiger beigefügter Dateien) von Ihrem System. Vielen Dank.

The contents of this e-mail (including any attachments) are confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of its contents is strictly prohibited, and you should please notify the sender immediately and then delete it (including any attachments) from your system. Thank you.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Gregor, currently we don't have access to any bot service as those accesses are restricted to only committers of the repositories now. Maybe one of us can explore the possibility of using our GitHub account to do it, but that's a good to have feature.

> In order to be more transparent, I would like to propose that we put
> something like ' [WIP DO NOT MERGE]' in the PR title as my colleagues
> and I have done on some new PRs you can follow. Labels cannot be used
> as not every contributor is a committer. Once the PR is ready for
> merging, we can remove it.

Is it possible to attach bots to PRs, like for Issues?

That way, a bot could take care of attaching and removing labels, and
access control could be done according to the contributor's role.

Posted by "Riepl, Gregor (SWISS TXT)" <Gr...@swisstxt.ch>.